David Ortiz will gladly welcome his two newest teammates to Boston, as will the rest of Red Sox Nation. (@davidortiz) David Ortiz Welcomes $200M Teammates Sandoval and Ramirez to Red Sox on Twitter 14 years to the day of Brady's debut losing to the Lions 34-9, the Patriots turn the tables with a 34-9 victory of their own. (AP Photo/Steven Senne) Notes and Observations Week 12: Patriots Continue Stretch of Dominance, Defeat Lions 34-9 Donte Clark, Jabari Hinds (Photo courtesy of The Boston Globe) Minutemen Bounce Back with Win over Florida State Connelly’s Top Ten: Kraftapoolooza – Pats and Revs Win!

The Anti-New York Yankees Thread

After losing to Cleveland in four games, the New York Yankees have lost in the playoffs for seven years straight. And there are going to be consequences.

Now my dislike for the Yankees doesn’t just come from losing to them for almost my entire lifetime. It stems from the lopsided salary system baseball has. I’m aware Boston has the second highest payroll. And that overall team competitiveness has been varied from year to year in baseball, and most teams have been able to be in a playoff race. But the Yankees at the highest payroll of 195 million (According to ESPN) still have a 52 million dollar advantage over the Red Sox who are at 143 million. Now the Red Sox are already one of the best teams in baseball. If they spent 52 million more they would be unstoppable. With 52 million, a team could add two A-Rod type contracts. Or how about four Ortiz contracts. Its a huge competitive advantage.

Now the Yankees look to be going in a new direction after losing with such a high payed team in the last 10 years. The team has noticeably become younger this year with the emergence of Robinson Cano, Philip Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Melky Cabrera.

In this new phase, George Steinbrenner said in a statement that if the Yankees lost this year Joe Torre wouldn’t be back to manage next year. And the way Torre talked in his post game press-conference, it sounds like Torre knows it. Along with the loss of Joe Torre, many more Yankees might be moving.

Heres some of the list of players who could be moving:

• Alex Rodriquez (Player Option)
  • Roger Clemens
  • Mariano Rivera
  • Jorge Posada
  • Bobby Abreu
  • Andy Pettitte (Player Option)
  • Luis Vizcaino
  • Jose Molina

A major date to write down is November 10th. This is the date A-Rod needs to make a decision on whether to opt out of his contract. This is 10 days after the World Series ends, right after the GM meetings.

After this year, the Yankees could look completely different. It’ll be a decision by the players whether they really want to come back to the New York Yankees sans Joe Torre. And whether they think the Yankees will be competitive anytime soon.

My hope is the Yankees blow up the team, and next year they come into the league subpar and don’t make the playoffs. It’ll be a struggle for them to keep everyone on the free agent list. So no matter what, the Yankees will be a much different team next year.

It’ll be fun to watch for Yankee fans and non-Yankee fans alike.

Tags: ,

Comments are disallowed for this post.

1. Here’s my predictions:
    Torre – out, Mattingly or Girardi in
    Clemens – done, for good this time. Can’t keep it up physically
    Rivera – tough, but he’ll be back, they’ll give him a big offer
    Posada – same deal, they need him, and have few options in the organization (Sal Fasano maybe??)
    Abreu- def back. I think they have a one year option and they’ll def pick it up.
    Pettitte – I think he’s gonna retire. Without roger or torre there, he’ll be ready to move on.
    AROD – STAYS. He’ll opt out and get a 5 year, $150 mil contract. Despite his inconsistancies in the playoffs, the thought of starting over again could stop him. The fact that he’ll play for the most storied franchise ever with the stands always filled, and the thoughts of glory perhaps making the new yanks stadium “The House that Arod Built” will keep him in NY. A lot of it will be about money and with Roger gone and Giambi’s money gone after next year they’ll actually have some financial flexibility.

Posted by Jeff | October 9, 2007, 9:27 pm
  2. There is going to be a lot of interest in those guys from other teams. Maybe someone makes a big push for Rivera or Posada and take them away. Posada in Colorado? Mmmm Very tasty fantasy wise.

Posted by Dan | October 10, 2007, 1:00 am
  3. A-Rod wont stay. As the deal stands, the Rangers are paying a HUGE chunk of his remaining salary. The Yankees are paying A-Rod $16 million in 2007 and 2008, $17 million in 2009, and $18 million in 2010. NOW, they’ll have to nearly double what they owe him. 30-plus million for another 8-10 years. he wouldn’t accept 5 years because he’s A-Rod and he has Scott Boras — they don’t have to. A-rod is that good…

Posted by KC | October 10, 2007, 3:24 am
  4. What I don’t get is when Boston fans complain about the disparity for team salaries. Like you said, the Yankees are first, the Red Sox are second. That just means that the Red Sox are not as “good” as the Yankees when it comes to throwing money at the players. I’m sure the Red Sox can easily be first in payroll since they have the revenue to do it.

Posted by Dave | October 10, 2007, 9:40 am
  5. They could always just add a salary cap to baseball to spice things up…

Posted by Chris | October 10, 2007, 10:16 am
  6. I’d love a salary cap.

Posted by Dan | October 10, 2007, 1:19 pm
  7. Baseball needs both a maximum and minimum salary cap. I mean both the Yankees and Red Sox are basically paying for the Marlins and Devil Rays through luxury taxes and revenue sharing.

Posted by Dave | October 10, 2007, 1:32 pm
  8. I know, I’m a virgin to posting on this site, so I figure I would pop my cherry with this post.

You can’t assume the Red Sox would benefit with spending 52 million more dollars because look at their latest free agent acquistions: Drew, Lugo, Dice-K, even the Gagne salary they took on. That’s a lot of money right there and granted those guys have shown signs of life, but you can’t say that any of them have proved that they are worth their contracts. While I do believe Dice-K will be solid over the next few years and will end up earning his salary. You can’t deny that Lugo and Drew were major dissapointments this year, which just goes to show you that money doesn’t guarantee success. I truly believe the Red Sox would be just as good as they are now without Drew and Lugo. In fact, they might even be better with Ellsbury guaranteed a spot and Alex Cora bunting people over in a close game.

As far as the Yankees Off-season, while there is a good chance Torre will not be asked back, you never really know. I’d say there is a 30% chance he returns and in New York that maybe just enough. If Torre goes, Donnie or Giaradi will replace him, NOT La Russa. Steinbrenner wants a guy he can’t hold to for years not a girly man like La Russa with a massive ego. I would actually hope for Giaradi, I like his style and we have a lot of young kids who are expected to grow up fast.

As for the players:
    Rivera: will return even without Torre
    Posada: Ditto
    Pettitte: I believe will return for the option and may even more after next year.
    Abreu: 50-50 chance his option isn’t picked up right now, in the end I think it’ll be easier to have on for one more year and see his true worth
    AROD: Maybe I’m just being optimistic, but I believe the possible greatest player in the history of the game is now focusing on his legacy and knows if he moves on to another team, he won’t have his jersey retired any where. Hence, Yanks offer a big extsension before he opts out, he takes the big extension that will probably be backloaded so it won’t look as big as it actually is and Arod will look like he took a home=town discount, when he didn’t.
    Bengie: I hope we bring him back, he was a solid back up.
    Clemens: Is Done, finally.

Overall, I actually think the Yankees will be a better team next year if they keep the same players. Wang has the stuff of a great number 3 starter, Hughes has the stuff of an ace and could very well have a Verlander like year, next year. Ian Kennedy has the stuff of a number 2, he looked damn good in September and next year would only be a number 4 or 5 with Pettitte holding up the rotation. Let’s not forget Joba, who will be in the rotation next year unless they pull a Papelbon, however I don’t think they will with Humberto Sanchez coming back from surgery this year and filling in that role. Mussina as a number 5 isnt horrible, considering Alan Horne is waiting in the minors for his call-up, supposingly he has as good of stuff, if not better stuff than Joba and Kennedy.

Posted by Baker | October 10, 2007, 9:34 pm