Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara Bruins Take Control of Series with 3-0 Win Over Red Wings Jacoby Ellsbury returns to Fenway Park, this time in a Yankees uniform. Should the Red Sox faithful bring out the boo birds? (The Boston Globe) To Boo or Not to Boo? Ellsbury Returns to Boston with Yankees Jacoby Yankees vs. Red Sox: Round 2 in Boston Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman (Jesse Johnson, USA Today Sports) 2014 NFL Draft Profile: Ra’Shede Hageman

Not Another Pink Hat (2-26)

I am a girl. I love sports. I don’t see why these two things cannot go hand in hand. My mom, aunt, and sister are all huge sports fans. I grew up watching the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics. When the Sports of Boston guys decided to add a female voice to this blog, I jumped at the chance.

I find it necessary to explain the term “pink hat” for anyone who doesn’t understand the title of this column. According to KC, a “pink hat” is a girl who is not a sports fan that moves here for college and buys a pink hat because it is cute. I own pink hats, jerseys, and accessories, but I don’t fit this definition. The way I see it is, if I can mix my favorite color and my favorite sports teams, why wouldn’t I?

I will mostly only talk about baseball and football, because these are the only sports I watch consistently. I watch basketball occasionally, but I don’t even think I could name the Celtics starting lineup. The only thing I know about the Celts is that I hate Paul Pierce and I always have. I go to UMass hockey games so I can chant obscenities and taunt the goalie, but I have no idea what’s going on. As much as I hate to admit it, I cannot remember the last time I watched a Bruins game. I also just drafted my very first fantasy baseball team! I have no idea what I am doing, but I will post more about my trials, tribulations, frustrations, and utter confusion later.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 comments for “Not Another Pink Hat (2-26)”

1. I find it hard to not bash the pink hat….I myself am female and a huge Boston sports fan, having grown up in Worcester. I find the pink hat phenomenon only fuels the fire for the Boston haters out there. They claim that most people are only Boston fans due to our most recent successes and this includes these girls who like the pink hats for style/attention reasons. The pink hat ultimately makes you look like a poser whether you are a true Boston fan or not, which I am certain you are.

Posted by Nikki | February 27, 2008, 11:36 am
  2. I think Nikki should post a picture of herself wearing a regular Red Sox cap…so we’re sure she’s a real fan.

Posted by Dave | February 27, 2008, 11:42 am
  3. Just for the record, I’m not trying to label all people who have pink hats as non-fans. Perhaps an unfair label, the “pink-hat” applies to all people who are Red Sox fans of convenience (i.e. when they’re in Boston for college or jobs or when the team is doing really well). If the team sucks, they don’t care.

Pink also has a female connotation, but there are certainly some guys who perfectly fit the “pink hat” mold.

And…welcome aboard Jenn.

Posted by KC | February 27, 2008, 12:33 pm
  4. Thanks for that clarification KC. It’s not surprising that your definition accidentally got changed a bit in the game of telephone between you, Dev, and myself. I just wanted to make sure you got the credit for it in case any girls are horribly offended by it.

Posted by Jennifer | February 27, 2008, 12:42 pm
  5. haha thanks! Yea that works for me.

Posted by KC | February 27, 2008, 1:37 pm
  6. You’re right KC there are many men and women who fit the “pink hat” mold.

I was just stating that because of the connotations that go along with wearing the actual pink hat a real fan looks less credible than if they were wearing the true Sox colors…. what can I say I’m a purist. Unfortunately just the mention of the pink hat makes me think of a girl hooked on her boyfriend’s arm reapplying her lipstick while she should be throwing back beers and screaming along with Sweet Caroline.

However, I do love the addition of a woman on staff so I like Jen with or without pink hat.

And to Dave…I can assure you I am a true fan however I’m not quite ready to have my picture floating around on the internet.

Posted by Nikki | February 27, 2008, 1:53 pm
  7. Nikki-
    You have such a valid point. I know that many real sports fans question the integrity of the pink hat. Even though I wear one, I sometimes catch myself judging other girls. You can definitely expect more thoughts on this subject.

Thank you so much for your comments!

Posted by Jennifer | February 27, 2008, 1:59 pm
  8. Wow 7 comments on one post. Way to go Jennifer!

KC, you need to “hire” more female bloggers.

Posted by Dave | February 27, 2008, 3:52 pm
  9. No one ever compliments me on being feminine… :(

Posted by Dan | February 27, 2008, 6:30 pm
  10. I am a huge female Boston sports fan (make that huge sports fan, average-sized female). The pink hat/shirt/shoes phenomenon is a bit of an embarrassment to real fans, especially this female one. It’s sort of a mockery of the real uniforms, like they aren’t fashion worthy enough. I’m all for a feminine-tailored version of the real thing to assist with fit…my Brady jersey is a Mens and hangs down to my knees on game days.

In regards to Jennifer loving sports, but picking and choosing which ones she follows or understands on the Boston scene, you have to comprehend that it’s one big sports scene. For example, I’m guessing you weren’t tuned in for the Celtics game last night…so therefore you missed the Ty Law interview and a crucial piece of breaking news that could have implications to bringing #24 back to New England, and my favorite bobblehead out of mothballs and back on top of the cable box.

Pink hats, like Bud Lite drinkers, and those with artificial Christmas trees, are the great pretenders!

Posted by Pats Woman | February 28, 2008, 12:42 pm
  11. 1st off i want to say Paul Pierce is the man, what is wrong with you? That guy is my favorite athlete and always has been (well him and maria sharapova) i have always loved the sox too. i myself wear a 1934-35 red sox cap cuz its tight. killa

Posted by soxfan | April 4, 2008, 1:58 pm