In this edition of the Four-Point Play, I will discuss Doc Rivers being named Eastern Conference Coach of the Month again, the importance of clinching home-court advantage throughout the playoffs, the sellout of the Celtics playoffs strips, and a radio reminder about a couple Celtics games in April.
1. Celtics coach Doc Rivers was named the Eastern Conference’s Coach of the Month yesterday. He’s the first Celtics coach to win the honor twice in one season and the second coach to win the honor twice overall.
- This should come as no surprise: the C’s went a league-best 13-3 in March, including a rare sweep of the Texas Triangle in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. The C’s also had 9 of their 13 wins in March against teams that would currently qualify for the playoffs.
- Case and point, Doc Rivers has done a fantastic job with a talented team, and the result is good all around. 59 wins by April 1 is not bad at all!
2. Speaking of 59 wins, the Celtics will be looking for their 60th against the Indiana Pacers Wednesday night. With a win, the C’s can shrink their magic number to clinch home-court advantage throughout the playoffs down to 1.
- It is so important that the Celtics get that home-court throughout. They don’t want to have to play 4 games out of 7 in Detroit in case both teams meet in the Eastern Conference Finals. Ideally, the Celtics get the home-court locked up so they can rest their players heading in to the playoffs.
- It would also be huge if the Celtics could get the best record in the NBA at the end of the season, giving the Celtics a huge advantage should they make the NBA Finals. Can any team currently in the NBA beat the Celtics in a best of 7 series if 4 of those games would be played in Boston?
3. The Celtics announced on Monday that all of their playoff strips sold out in about 20 minutes.
- The Boston sports craze has hit the NBA. The Celtics are the best team going in basketball and the fans want to see them in massive numbers. It’s sad though that most of the people who got the tickets are going to resell them outside the arena or on eBay for a huge profit.
4. Celtics.com reports that the Celtics will be moved from WEEI to WRKO on the radio for the April 9 and April 16 games.
- WEEI carries Sox games on Wednesday’s with Dale Arnold…so even with the playoffs fast-approaching, the Sox are still the top dog. Fair enough.
Tags: Celtics, Doc Rivers, Four-Point Play, WEEI