In this edition of the Four-Point Play, I’ll take a look at James Posey’s decision to sign with the Hornets, Eddie House’s eventual departure, the Celtics’ interest in Tyronn Lue, and the release of the Celtics Championship DVD.
1. James Posey has really stung the Celtics, signing with the New Orleans Hornets to a four-year, $25-million deal.
- Oh no! How could the Celtics let James Posey go? Well, apparently, Posey wanted a fourth year on his new contract with the Celtics. Danny Ainge seemed reluctant to deliver that fourth year, offering a two-or-three-year deal for about $5.8 million per year.
- Well, he took his Championship ring to New Orleans and signed for four years and $6.25 million per year. Now, he’s playing with Chris Paul, David West, Peja Stojakovic, and Tyson Chandler, to form a really formidable Western Conference power. Posey is exactly the perfect player for a Western Conference contender.
- Who are the Celtics going to replace Posey with? There isn’t much internally (except Tony Allen…but he’s no where near the player Posey is), and externally here’s a look at the list of the best available free agents at SG/SF: Ricky Davis, Bonzi Wells, Michael Finley…uh oh.
2. And…it looks like the Celtics will have a hole in their three-point shooting department, as they will not offer Eddie House more than a one-year deal at the veteran minimum.
- To quote his agent, Mark Bartelstein: “Eddie’s not going to sign for one year at the minimum. There’s no chance of that. He’s got two or three offers on the table right now for more than that.”
- OK so goodbye Eddie. Three-point shooters are a lot easier to find than defensive-minded swingmen like James Posey, but the Celtics will still miss Eddie’s clutch shooting ability.
- I think Ainge deserves even more credit for digging up these two free agents last season late in the summer (in mid-late August) and signing them for one-year deals at cheap prices. Now they’re both getting multi-year offers and Ainge deserves credit for that. Are there any other diamonds in the rough?
3. The Celtics are reportedly interested in free agent point guard Tyronn Lue.
- The Celtics are on Lue’s short list with the Phoenix Suns. He’d fit nicely as a backup veteran point guard for Rajon Rondo. Lue also still has some speed unlike Sam Cassell.
- But…of course…RealGM.com is reporting that Lue is heading to Phoenix for a physical. When out there, he said: “I think we’re going to get it done in Phoenix.”
4. Before the free agent drama, the Celtics held a party to release their 2007-2008 Championship DVD.
- Both James Posey and Eddie House were in attendance at the Celtics DVD premiere Monday night. The players watched the DVD along with media and lucky fans in attendance.
- It is now available to the general public. I have not watched it but I plan to and when I do, I’ll offer some insight. I saw the 2004 DVD for the Red Sox and loved it, so I will hold this Banner 17 DVD to a high standard.
Did James Posey make the right decision to sign with the Hornets?
- Yes, he signed for more money on an elite team. (58%, 30 Votes)
- Only time will tell... (27%, 14 Votes)
- No, he should've taken a hometown discount. (15%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 52
Tags: Celtics, Eddie House, Four-Point Play, James Posey, New Orleans Hornets, Tyronn Lue