David Ortiz will gladly welcome his two newest teammates to Boston, as will the rest of Red Sox Nation. (@davidortiz) David Ortiz Welcomes $200M Teammates Sandoval and Ramirez to Red Sox on Twitter 14 years to the day of Brady's debut losing to the Lions 34-9, the Patriots turn the tables with a 34-9 victory of their own. (AP Photo/Steven Senne) Notes and Observations Week 12: Patriots Continue Stretch of Dominance, Defeat Lions 34-9 Donte Clark, Jabari Hinds (Photo courtesy of The Boston Globe) Minutemen Bounce Back with Win over Florida State Connelly’s Top Ten: Kraftapoolooza – Pats and Revs Win!

Manny Ramirez Traded

OF Manny Ramirez was reportedly traded to the Dodgers right at the trade deadline, with Jason Bay coming to the Red Sox as part of the deal.

The $20 million option for 2009 for Ramirez has been officially dropped and apparently the Red Sox will pay the rest of Manny’s contract this season. Nick Cafardo has reported some (not all) details with the deal.

Trade Details

Dodgers Get: OF Manny Ramirez from Red Sox

Red Sox Get: OF Jason Bay from Pirates

Pirates Get: 3B Andy LaRoche and P Bryan Morris from LA, OF Brandon Moss and RP Craig Hansen from Red Sox

Of course, this means that Jason Bay will NOT be going to the Rays as originally reported.

Gordon Edes and Nick Cafardo first confirmed the deal on NESN, which was then reaffirmed by SI.com.

Do you approve of the Manny Ramirez-Jason Bay trade?

• Yes, Sox got rid of the clubhouse cancer. (36%, 29 Votes)
  • No, they didn't get enough for Manny. (25%, 20 Votes)
  • No, I love Manny! (19%, 15 Votes)
  • Yes, Bay is enough in return for Manny. (10%, 8 Votes)
  • Who's Jason Bay? (10%, 8 Votes)

Total Voters: 80

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 comments for “Manny Ramirez Traded”

1. Bring Manny back!

Posted by Franky | July 31, 2008, 4:36 pm
  2. I can’t believe this deal got done. ESPN guaranteed that the deal was dead, and even ran a segment about why the Sox didn’t trade Manny.

Posted by KC | July 31, 2008, 4:47 pm
  3. and Foxsports.com had on their front page “Ken Rosenthal reports Manny was not traded before the deadline.”

Whoops.

Posted by Jeff | July 31, 2008, 4:52 pm
  4. I can’t believe the Sox had to give up Manny, Moss (who I like but we have no use for now), and Hansen (hopefully a change of scenery helps him), AND $7M to get Bay…that looks lopsided. Quite a deal for the Dodgers: Manny (free) for LaRoche and Morris???

Posted by Mike | July 31, 2008, 6:10 pm
  5. A Bay Bay…….

Posted by Dev | July 31, 2008, 6:46 pm
  6. [...] I will be live-blogging the trade deadline all-day. Check back or sit with me as we watch and wait for the 4 p.m. MLB trade deadline. Manny Ramirez was reportedly dealt! [...]

Posted by MLB Trade Deadline: Live Blog | Sports of Boston | July 31, 2008, 7:38 pm
  7. Ack, never thought I’d see it happen. I’m still going to wear my Ramirez jersey.

Posted by Chris | July 31, 2008, 11:55 pm
  8. Come on, it’s not like we lost offensive production. Bay and Manny are putting up similar numbers this season. So now we get Bay for this season and next season (at only around 7.5 million).

Only time will tell if giving up Brandon Moss will hurt us.

Craig Hansen is gone and thank you God for that.

The only thing we can point at as a problem is that we didnt get a relief pitcher in the deal somewhere. Oh well, that what waivers are for. Anybody is better than Hansen.

Posted by Pete | August 1, 2008, 1:10 am
  9. When the bullpen still struggles, who are you going to blame now that Hansen is gone?

Posted by KC | August 1, 2008, 5:57 am
  10. I’m still blaming Hansen

Posted by Dev | August 1, 2008, 6:12 pm
  11. I didn’t say Hansen was the sole reason the bullpen was trash. I have just been expressing my hatred for a lousy relief pitcher. How lousy you ask?

CAREER #’s: 71.2 IP, 6.15 ERA, 1.67 WHIP.

He hasn’t even shown a flash of brilliance at the major league level. If the man ever had a decent ERA over the span of even just half a season then I would shut my mouth. As things stand, Hansen has yet to prove me wrong.

Posted by Pete | August 2, 2008, 1:55 pm
  12. [...] in Boston anytime soon since he was behind Manny, J. D. Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Coco Crisp.  KC has the trade covered in full detail if you want to sound off or see what the rest of the readers [...]

Posted by Red Sox Move on without Manny Ramirez | Sports of Boston | August 4, 2008, 6:47 am