Another week gone means another week closer to training camp. There was limited team activities last week but there was plenty of news coming out of Foxboro, mostly focused on the left knee of Tom Brady.
Brady practiced for a few days wearing a brace under sweatpants and it’s very difficult to determine what, if any, bearing his performance means for the rest of the off-season. Most pundits have said just the fact that he’s able to throw at near 100% says a lot about his steps towards full recovery. This week Brady’s surgeon was interviewed by the L.A. Times and commented about the remarkable progress No. 12 has made from his ACL/MCL tears. The doc says Brady has exceeded expectations. Pretty much what you would expect him to say.
Other News and Notes:
- Where oh where is Vince Wilfork? It seems as though this off-seasons ongoing media speculation story will be about the contract status of nose tackle Vince Wilfork. Big Vince is a free agent after this season and there has been talk of his discouragement in the lack of contract extension talks with the team. This hopefully will not turn into another Asante Samuel situation where the Pats egg him along with a carrot and then eventually cut him loose for nothing. The Pats should offer Wilfork a similar contract to that of Richard Seymour. If the Pats do not offer such a deal they will have egg on their face yet again when Wilfork takes his 300+ pound act somewhere else; if they do offer that kind of contract and Wilfork holds out for more (like Albert Haynesworth-more) then he can go on his way. All signs indicate Vince wants to stay in New England long term but won’t give the Pats the kind of discount Ty Warren did.
- The Patriots have re-signed punter Tom Malone. Not the big splash we thought about in free agency.
- A former Patriot has been extradited in a millionaire Laguna Beach style murder case. Nah, never heard of him either.
- As I wrote about last week, running back is an intriguing position for the Pats this year with many options. CNNSI’s Jim Trotter lists Fred Taylor as a running back ready for a big turnaround.
- Our first ever Patriots mailbag will be posted later this week, get your questions in by emailing me at [email protected]
Tags: Asante Samuel, Tom Brady, Tom Malone, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork