Rob Gronkowski has been cleared to play. (Steve Milne, USA Today) Rob Gronkowski Cleared to Play for Patriots Dustin Pedroia Dustin Pedroia grants wish of 12-year old boy Rookie center Bryan Stork will compete for the starting job in training camp. 2014 Patriots Offensive Line Preview: Solder, Mankins, Stork, Cannon, Vollmer Would Belichick ever leave the Patriots? Bill Belichick Coaching Elsewhere? Albert Breer Stirs the Speculation Pot

Rumored Leak of 2003 Steroid List is Most Likely Fake

Alex Rodriguez

Update, (07/30/09): Ortiz, Manny named on 2003 list

In news that is spreading like wildfire, the 2003 list of the 103 MLB baseball players who tested positive for steroids has been potentially leaked to the public. Rotoinfo.com posted the story this morning and it has been the talk of the town all day.

The biggest problem with the list is that the reports are completely unconfirmed by any major news source. Yes, this would make it a text book definition of a “rumor”, but come on, nobody else is backing this story up at all. Here is the list as it appears exactly at rotoinfo.com:

1.Nomar Garciaparra
98.Eric Gagne
99.Guillermo Mota
100.Luis Gonzalez
101.Todd Helton
102.Ryan Klesko
103.Gary Matthews

Alex Rodriguez and Sammy Sosa, who have already been named, make their appearance here, and so does the biggest name of them all: Barry Bonds. Other names that have been connected to BALCO and the Mitchell Report are also here.

What stands out the most to us are the first eight names. Apparently the 2003 Red Sox were all just hopped up on juice. Those wishing for Ortiz to get busted are glad to see his name here and Manny’s name would be no surprise to anyone. Nomar Garciaparra’s sudden decline in his career has been the subject of possible “juicing” rumors.

The biggest blow would come in the form of Pedro Martinez. It would be a real tragedy is his career was tainted by performance enhancing drugs.

I was surprised to see that Albert Pujols was not named. Apparently he is the only clean player in baseball.

The odds of this list being fake are 99.9%. It just seems like somebody made it up in order to cause a media hailstorm and give their name some free advertising. Well, it is apparently not working as no major media outlets are taking it seriously.

However, if it is true, then many great names will be tarnished forever and what many people have been suspicious of for years will become a reality.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

20 comments for “Rumored Leak of 2003 Steroid List is Most Likely Fake”

1. Rumored Leak of 2003 Steroid List is Most Likely Fake: In news that is spreading like wildfire, the 2003 list of.. http://tinyurl.com/lnswfn

Posted by Sports of Boston | June 30, 2009, 3:03 pm
  2. http://deadspin.com/5304675/why-the-new-alleged-steroids-list-is-a-crock

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be coming to that conclusion. Shrug.

Posted by Jon | June 30, 2009, 5:22 pm
  3. Why do you just automatically assume Pujols must be on the 2003 list? His numbers are consistent before and after the game has been cleaned up. Just because he is a once in a lifetime type of talent, people have to make erroneous claims. Somebody is obviously sitting on this list somewhere and if Pujols was on it, don’t you think he’d be one of the first names leaked given he just won the MVP and is absolutely mashing this year. Give the man a break. Don’t take your frustration of your glorious Red Sox’s speculations and transfer it on to somebody who has done nothing but be a role model on and off the field.

Posted by Mark Schweitzer | June 30, 2009, 6:17 pm
  4. I will accuse whoever the hell I want to. This list was not the last straw in my accusation of Pujols. I have been saying for years that I believe Pujols is guilty.

It’s not just him, I am suspicious of all players. With the rate at which names are falling, it is only a matter of time before a superstar like Pujols goes down.

Oh wait a second, it already happened! A-Rod had consistent numbers before and after the game was “cleaned up” and he turned out to be a cheater. A-Rod was seen as the only clean cut player in baseball and even he wasn’t immune to controversy.

If it can happen to A-Rod, then it can happen to anyone.

And you can throw that Red Sox bias crap out the window Mark, I am actually begging for Ortiz to go down in flames.

Posted by Pete | July 1, 2009, 1:09 am
  5. http://bit.ly/DPVSD
    makes me worry about the other half

Posted by JoshEh?wa Mechali | July 1, 2009, 2:15 pm
  6. You have no basis for your accusations on Pujols. What’s your evidence…the guy is the best in the game right now, therefore he’s guilty? Give me a break. I feel sorry for you, that you can’t enjoy and appreciate Pujols for what he is. Just because A-Rod went down doesn’t mean Pujols will. In fact, with today’s media being such bloodhounds when it comes to digging up dirt, if there was something dirty about Pujols then it would be outed by now.

Posted by Mark Schweitzer | July 5, 2009, 12:58 pm
  7. “I will accuse whoever the hell I want to.”

Really? Are you a legitimate journalist? I sure hope not when you are making childish comments like that.

Personally I don’t care if you think Pujols is guilty or not, but he and A-Rod are the two best players in the league, and I’m pretty sure Pujols’ name would’ve come out before Sammy Sosa, who has been out of baseball for 2 years.

Posted by Ryan | July 5, 2009, 1:02 pm
  8. I assume you are a Cardinals fan and that is why you are getting so angry.

Obviously there is no clear, 100% proof that Pujols has ever used performance enhancing drugs, but I am entitled to my opinion.

Lets not forget that in the Jason Grimsely affidavit that Grimsley said his trainer (Chris Mihlfield) referred Grimsley to a dealer who supplied him with steroids and HGH.

This trainer referred several of his players to this dealer.

The connection is that Chris Mihlfield was Pujols’ trainer before he was drafted and for several years after.

I already know that you will say that that doesn’t prove anything and that I am just trying to find any little excsue to accuse Pujols. Whatever. You can say what you want to say.

Sure, I agree that IF Pujols was on the famous list of 103 names, then he would have been named to the public before Sosa. However, that list is for players who tested positive for STEROIDS in 2003. Pujols could have used HGH for which there still is no test for today.

Innocent until proven guilty. If Pujols goes through his entire life and it is never proved that he used performance enhancing drugs, then I will shut my mouth.

Until then, I am skeptical of Pujols and everybody else.

Posted by Pete | July 5, 2009, 5:25 pm
  9. Pete, have you ever played baseball? Do you know what it takes? Does anyone who participates in these forums for that matter? You chastise, critique, insult, and demean all these guys like you have a fucking clue as to what you were talking about, like you knew what they went through and you know for a fact that you breezed through everything they do and go through. They have a talent, they can run fater, throw and hit harder than your average person, and I am going to assume that you forgot that they eat, sleep, and shit just like your average person. They just happen to play baseball instead of getting in a beemer and heading to the office. The game they played once just for the love of it turned into a profession, they still have to take care of their families, they still have to pay mortages, they still worry if on their next review (free agent season) they will get a raise or get fired. Now imagine that by taking some pills or injecting some oily stuff you could concentrate longer and be able to crunch out numbers quicker, build reports faster, and manage to get a raise of 20-30-40% from your current salary, which would allow you to retire earlier, pay off your house, pay off your kids college even if they are still in elementary, and live comfortably for the rest of your life, would you take the pills or inject the oily stuff? If you say no you are nothing but a hypocrite, but then again I would not expect anything less. What is your argument? That the ones before them did not take anything?? That they were better human beings?? That kids will emulate them?? Do you think that coffee pills, “greenies”, and other stimulants just came out the last 20 years?? Better human beings?? Most of the guys that are in cooperstown were self admitted racist pigs, guys that killed people, assaulted women, were rotten alcoholics, how are they better than this generation huh?? The conditions?? They played in day games only, the ball was different, the rules were different, the game was different? That kids will emulate them, if the kid is stupid enough to do something or take something without researching first well guess what, he was too stupid to make it in real life anyways!! NOT ALL BABIES ARE CUTE, NOT ALL KIDS WILL BE SHINING STARS, NOT EVERYONE HAS A POTENTIAL TO BE BIG! GET OVER IT! What can your argument possibly be???? Going back to my first statement you have no idea what you are talking about, if Pujols is taking PEDs well good for him, if these players were able to help themselves and make some money out of it, well good for them, besides their sacrifice was what brought you entertainment and money to the owner! Stop your petty bullshit and just enjoy the game!

P.S. I played professional baseball for 3 years, now I am making it in corporate America, I have a bit of a clue as to what I am talking about, do you?

Posted by Daniel | July 7, 2009, 2:16 pm
  10. So Daniel,

You approve of cheating? You approve of some players getting an advantage over the hard-working ones?

It sounds like by your logic that it is acceptable for a player to use PED’s. The fact of the matter is that all forms of steroids and HGH are illegal in baseball for a reason. That is so that everyone is on the same level playing field.

Of course the rules today have changed. Of course ballplayers are themselves better athletes. Of course conditions such as smaller ballparks are inflating home run totals. Yes, I 100% agree that the game today is different from the game 50 years ago.

When players use PED’s, they are doing one thing: cheating. Whether or not that it turns them into superstars or not is irrelevant. What is important is the fact that they are trying to gain a competitive edge over their peers. The actual act of engagging in knowingly cheating is a disgrace to the players who do things the all natural way.

Usually when a player does so, he is doing it for selfish reasons. He wants to pad his stats for the record books or make a huge payday in free agency.

Granted, SOME may want to make more money for their families. But is cheating the best way to go about it? That’s like condoning robbing a bank to feed your starving family. Besides, MOST of the players today make obscene salaries anyway, so being in possession of a large bank account is not exactly a problem. Even the worst players makes six figures. At the start of 2008, the league minimum was $390,000. So don’t give me crap about how they don’t make enough money.

So what if players back then were not the best characters or role models? Yes, some players assualted women and were racists. However, we need to seperate personal life from professional life. You can hate a man as an immoral human being, but you can respect what he does on the field, court, whatever.

Kobe Bryant raped a woman, but people still watch what he does on the court because he is a great player. I don’t approve of what he did off the court by any means, but he is one the best basketball players of my generation.

Players like Ty Cobb were outspoken racists and generally just horrible human beings, but they played the game the best and that is why they are in Cooperstown.

Players like Mark McGwire, who have been up for the Hall and have been denied access, should never get in because they tainted the game itself. McGwire tainted his professional life and ruined the game for others. I gurantee you that if America was aware that the ’98 home run race was fueled by steroids, then we would not have been tuning in at record numbers to witness history being crapped on.

Children should emulate the athlete and not the man himself.

I never said that generations before us played a clean game. Thanks to the past few seasons, I am actually more suspicious of the history of the game than anyone. Maybe players back then cheated and maybe they didn’t. We have no way of knowing today. However, we have the means today to catch cheaters red-handed. So the ones we do catch will be publically scrutinized and for good reason.

What I find hilarious is that the media, and the public question the authenticity of records and overall great offensive seasons every single day. Past or present, i doesn’t matter. However, I literally wrote ONE SENTENCE about Albert Pujols, and the world came to a halt.

This is reminiscent of the Raul Ibanez story:

All it takes is one man to speculate on a player’s ability and *BAM*, we have an uproar. I know for a fact that if I had accused Kevin Kouzmanoff, then nobody would have cared.

Why can’t I get over it? Why do I care so much if a player is cheating? I don’t know, because it is wrong. At your job, if you worked your ass off, made the big deals, really put in 100% natural effort, and then one day someone who is not as naturally good as you cheats his way to the top and surpasses you as an employee, you would be pissed.

Daniel, I don’t care if you played professional baseball for three years. I worked in a mailroom for two years, but that doesn’t make me an authority on the U.S. Postal Service. Clearly you should have taken your own advice and taken PED’s in order to stick around a bit longer.

The fact of the matter is that I can’t enjoy the game when it has been so overrun with illegal drugs. For the moment, I can peacefully watch my players go out there and play. But in the fututre, more names will be released and a whole new slew of information will come forward. More cheaters will be exposed and we will continue to lose faith in America’s past time.

Posted by Pete | July 8, 2009, 2:01 pm
  11. Cheating is cheating is cheating. Pete’s right. Also, I worked in newspapers for a little while, and it sure as hell doesn’t make me the New York Times.

We’re here talking about sports. Whether one overpaid butthead took dangerous performance-enhancing drugs is not particularly important, nor is it what’s really at issue in arguments like these.

It’s about world-view. Do I know better? Is my morality the correct one? Should steroids be legal? If I think they should be, but they’re still not, should players who take them be subject to stricture?

Like I said, I think that if you don’t like the rules, that’s your business. But cheating is still cheating.

Also, Pete, if you really are begging for David Ortiz to go down in flames, there’s going to be some serious SportsofBoston drama! Sports nerd fight! Oi oi oi!

Posted by Jon | July 9, 2009, 12:47 am
  12. How ’bout them Twins! Not one of their players past and present is on that list. Sure we suck against BoSux and Yanks but at least we play the game right.

Posted by John Heppe | July 30, 2009, 8:43 pm
  13. The whole steroid situation boggles my mind. We know that steroids can shorten a life (Lyle Alzado and others). We do not know the potential damage from other PEDs, if any. Most of the major sports organizations have taken steps to curb their use during the 80′s and 90′s with the exception of MLB, which finally acted in 2004. But the demonstration of lack of ethics and morals that has been demonstrated is symtomatic of our society today. MLB’s fear of a strike is not justification for not acting to protect the health of their employees, an ethical and moral failure. The athletes that used the PEDs dispite knowledge that the other sports organizations were banning them are morally and ethically bankrupt. The agent of the court that is releasing names of PED users despite the judges order to seal the file is ethically and morally corrupt. Reporters printing the information released by the agent of the court are just as ethically and morally corrupt. It is not much different than bankers giving people mortages that they can not afford.

Posted by Boppinbob | July 30, 2009, 11:48 pm
  14. “If Pujols goes through his entire life and it is never proved that he used performance enhancing drugs, then I will shut my mouth.”

So the man has to die before you stop talking about something you have no idea of.

You are truly an idiot.

Posted by Mojo | August 2, 2009, 12:41 pm
  15. Why is everyone so defensive of Pujols? He is just another player. I have an opinion, and I am expressing it.

My suspicion doesn’t end with Pujols, I don’t trust any player. Everyone is guilty until proven innocent.

I also said:

“Those wishing for Ortiz to get busted are glad to see his name here”

Where were Papi’s defenders when I wrote that line? Nobody cared. Then, as it turns out, he actually was guilty.

Journalists, bloggers, broadcasters, and fans speculate everyday about what player might have been taking PED’s. I am no different. I am sorry if you don’t like my opinion, but too bad.

Posted by Pete | August 3, 2009, 12:50 am
  16. Do you honestly know what the fuck you are saying, Daniel is right you havent played baseball have you Pete.It is a harder game then anyother sport so what they take steroids they are average people just like you and me and trust me i would know because i am playing for the University of Toronto and i have to work my butt of everyday to think i could atleast be drafted. It is incredibly hard and im saying if they take steroids let them im not approving it but they are people just like you and me the same strenghths and weeknesses.How about you hit a 400 foot homerun with a wooden bat and a pitch comin at you over 90 miles an hour when you do you can talk once more.

Posted by Hamza | August 7, 2009, 10:49 am
  17. Hamza,

Please learn some basic writing skills before you start a rant.

From what I interpreted from your semi-English and gramatically-raped argument, you are telling me to lay off of steroid users.

No way. It comes down to the basic fact that when you use steroids or other PED’s, you are trying to gain an unfair advantage over those who are trying to play the game the old-fashioned, clean way. Would you approve of stealing signals from opposing teams or would you approve of scuffing the ball if you were a pitcher? No, you wouldn’t. So any form of cheating is unacceptable.

Most players that do get caught for testing positive always come out and admit their wrongdoings. Why? Because they know that what they did was wrong!

Like most journalists and broadcasters who agree with my side of the steroid issue (aka, the majority), they too have never played the game of baseball. So yes, while it is true that I have never played baseball at a competitive level, it does not change the fact that the use of PED’s is a slap in the face to the game.

Ballplayers are not people like you and me. I don’t make millions of dollars a year (and never will). Hell, as I said before, even the worst player makes the league-minimum of $390,000 (and that was 2008, it is probably around $400,000 now). These guys are public figures and are aware of the consequences of being in the public eye. They know that we are scrutinizing every move they make and if they are stupid enough to dabble in illegal subtances, then they should know the repercussions.

I am sorry to argue with a member of the University of Toronto baseball team, the same team that I believe finished 8-10 last season. I could make the argument that since no noteworthy baseball players have ever emerged from the University of Toronoto, that you don’t have the right to make an argument about anything baseball-related as well. The most famous athletes to come from University of Toronto are hockey players (Conn Smythe, Stan Brown, Joseph Sullivan), so maybe baseball is not the best career path for you.

Posted by Pete | August 8, 2009, 1:12 pm
  18. The reason most people are defensive of Pujols is because he isn’t just another player. I’m not referring to his statistics which speak for themselves, but rather his humble demeanor, charitable works, and class; all of which are sorely lacking in so many professional athletes. Those attributes are also why most people accept that he chose not to juice up. Also, you might notice that there are entire teams missing from the list; possible due to something known as institutional control. In other words, players realize that the fan base and management at various locations do not accept cheating, even if it means added performance and more wins. This is why Mark McGuire seldom makes appearances at St.Louis; the response to him is tepid at best. It really comes down to character; what a person does when no one is looking. (Like corking a bat.)

Posted by K | August 9, 2009, 2:42 am
  19. You know what pete i think youve gotta point im just doing this baseball thing for fun anyways im just that good to make the team but i guess you are right after i thought about what you said but still albert pujols is innocent and a very generous person.

A>K>A, I am actually gonna be an engineer

Posted by Hamza | August 12, 2009, 9:06 am