Chris Capuano Chris Capuano Goes to New York Yankees Connelly’s Top Ten: Weekend Here Again Rob Gronkowski has been cleared to play. (Steve Milne, USA Today) Rob Gronkowski Cleared to Play for Patriots Dustin Pedroia Dustin Pedroia grants wish of 12-year old boy

Canseco: Current Hall-of-Famer Used Steroids

Jose Canseco thinks Major League Baseball has a bigger problem on their hands than active players like Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz being busted for steroids. He alleges that a current Baseball Hall-of-Famer used the juice.

“When you tell me something I didn’t already know, I’ll be surprised,” Canseco told ESPN. “And I’ll tell you this, Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who’s used.”

When asked who the player was, Canseco refused to ellaborate:

“It’s not about naming names,” he said. “I’ve never had anything against the players. It’s always been against Major League Baseball. I know who’s on that list, but like I said, it’s not about attacking the players. It’s about the machine that allowed this to happen. What I speak out of my mouth is the truth. It burns like fire. Just remember, I have never lied about this subject.”

Reaction: At almost every turn, Canseco has been right on during this steroids mess. Other than refusing to connect his buddy Roger Clemens to steroids, Canseco has been reliable when it comes to the PED issue. So, we must wonder…who used steroids?

It’s almost impossible to allege, but I would imagine it would be a player that joined the hall recently. Without tying anyone specific to steroids, here’s a list of players elected to the Hall since 2000:

• Rickey Henderson
  • Dave Winfield
  • Kirby Puckett
  • Carlton Fisk
  • Tony Perez

Hmmm…

Tags: , ,

15 comments for “Canseco: Current Hall-of-Famer Used Steroids”

1. My Top 3 from this list:

-Ricky Henderson
    -Jim Rice
    -Cal Ripken Jr.

Posted by Pete | July 31, 2009, 1:01 pm
  2. Jose’s already stated that it wasn’t Rickey. So that narrows it down even further. Ripken seems likely, but I wouldn’t rule out Boggs or Sandberg.

Posted by Wayne | August 4, 2009, 7:55 am
  3. I betcha its Sandberg….look at his stats..from 88-92 he hit 131 of his 282 career h.r.’s..he went from hitting 14-15 to 40….i always thought something was fishy about his power production even back then.

Posted by joe blow | August 6, 2009, 12:28 pm
  4. Another probable candidate is Eckersly. Any ballplayer who goes from ordinary to spectacular, especially late in his career, and played on that Canseco/McGuire A’s team, is strongly suspect. As for Sandberg, looks like the same story as Dykstra, light hitter with a homer explosion. Very suspicious.

Posted by FPMZ | August 8, 2009, 5:19 am
  5. Jeez. Imagine if it was Ripken. Roger Angell-George Will types would committ ritual suicide.

Posted by Jon | August 11, 2009, 9:39 am
  6. Sandberg and Boggs have been very outspoken critics of steroid users, saying they shouldn’t be eligible for the HOF.

You could argue that they’re putting up that “good guy” front so they can use it as a defense if/when it goes public that they used PEDs (similar to Curt Schilling?), but I think they’re clean.

Posted by Dave | November 25, 2009, 3:12 pm
  7. I have no evidence other than intuition.

#1 Henderson… He was an ego maniac and his physique was steroid like at the end of his career. I think if he used; it was in the later part of his career like Bonds. I think both him and bonds should be evaluated pre-steroids and they deserve to be in… I m not worried about integrity because the hall of fame has plenty of assholes in it…

#2 Puckett…His abuse of women is a red flag but Pucket looked fat… I don’t know…Maybe…

#3 outside chances that Eckersley and Ripken used… Ripken might have fallen into the trap of using it for recovery purposes…Recovering from injuries… Eckersely, i don’t think so but who knows anymore…

Posted by James Fisher | January 16, 2010, 4:57 am
  8. Paul Molitor — a 10-homer .280 guy in his prime, somehow became a 30-homer .330 guy after age 35. And finished with over 3,300 hits, more than Willie Mays and 9th place all time!

Sandberg too no doubt. And Ripken. And a bunch of others.

Posted by lou | September 13, 2012, 9:51 pm
  9. It’s Molitor. He was hitting 200+ hits into his 40′s.

Posted by Joe Schwartz | September 14, 2012, 6:54 pm
  10. My vote is Cal Ripken. His head had that “growth” thing going. Baseball couldn’t afford to have a fallen hero like him. But how would Canseco know this? Rickey whupped A#! his whole career. A lot of people don’t realize that you DO get stronger with age but lose a bit in reflexes. Eckersley is all about the change to a closer. Sandberg? Could be but again what is the link to Canseco?

Posted by Justin Martell | July 20, 2013, 9:38 pm
  11. Puckett did like to lift. I remember reading an article on him waaay back. He said he “loved” it. Lifting a lot puts you in the connect with people who have/do steroids. Puckett or Ripken or BOTH is my bet.

Posted by Justin Martell | July 20, 2013, 9:40 pm
  12. Paul Molitor — a 10-homer .280 guy in his prime, somehow became a 30-homer .330 guy after age 35. And finished with over 3,300 hits, more than Willie Mays and 9th place all time!
    Sandberg too no doubt. And Ripken. And a bunch of others.

Molitor? He NEVER hit 30 home runs. Twenty-two was the top @ the age of 36 for Toronto in 1993. He did bat .341 in 161 games at age 39 for Minnesota. Even at DH, 161 games is impressive for a 39 year old.

Posted by Lewis Kincade | July 29, 2013, 6:36 pm
  13. if Bud Selig wants to clean the baseball,he has to check the inclusion of Carl Ripken jr and others into the Hall of Fame ,because,im sure that some of them are not clean!!!

Posted by angel mejia | August 11, 2013, 2:02 am
  14. Lewis – You say Molitor became a 30-homer guy at age 35. The most home runs he hit in a season from age 35 until his retirement at the age of 41 was 22 (at the age of 36, playing in a park that favors batters and in a good lineup that helped him get more plate appearances than anyone else in the league that season). His average number of home runs per season during that span was 12. His OPS+ during that time was 119, thanks in large part to his 34 doubles and 5 triples per season average.

Posted by Dan | September 4, 2013, 9:25 am
  15. I’d say probably more than one — ‘one’ that Canseco knows for sure.

Three jump out to me: Paul Molitor, who in his twenties was a 5-10 homer .280 guy but from age 34 went up several notches, regularly hitting .340 with more power; I remember it being hard to believe at the time. He was one of the first guys where I thought, 34 isn’t 34 anymore.

And then Tony Gwynn jumps out — late in his career when he all of a sudden had a homerun bat.

And Kirby Puckett — I remember how he first came up as a singles hitter then all of a sudden was hitting homeruns.

Posted by Bob Lyle | September 9, 2013, 3:14 pm