Connelly’s Top Ten: Da Bears Should Jordan Reed be a must-start tight end? (Bruce Hemmelgarn/USA Today Sports) Fantasy Football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: Week 8 Eagles vs Chargers: Week 6's prediction for the Super Bowl 2014 NFL Week 8 Betting Tips photo courtesy of Bleacher Report Redraft King: Week 8 2014 Advice

Fantasy Basketball Roundup: Week 7

Danny Granger

I mentioned last week how I had to face a notorious streamer in one of my leagues and my concern over whether or not my honest, clean-cut ways of playing would have me triumph over the forces of evil. As it turns out, good always beats evil as I won that particular matchup by a score of 5-3-1. Score one for the players who make this game honest!

Injuries

Danny Granger (SG, SF, PF), Indiana Pacers

Granger has suffered a torn plantar fascia in his right foot and will miss the next 4-6 weeks. He was averaging 24.4 points and 6.1 rebounds this season.

Ben Gordon (SG), Detroit Pistons

Gordon has missed three straight games due to a sprained ankle, but fully participated in practice on Monday. He is still questionable for Tuesday’s game against Houston.

Josh Howard (SG, SF), Dallas Mavericks

Howard continues to have ankle troubles as he was once again sidelined with the same ankle injury that has forced him to miss most of the season. Until he is 100%, keep him on your bench.

Best Players of the Week

Point Guard

Steve Nash (PG), Phoenix Suns

Nash powered the Suns offense this past week by shooting 57.8% from the field and scoring 25.0 points with 11.0 assists, and 2.0 3PTM.

Honorable Mention: Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics (16.0 points, 6.3 rebounds, 12.7 assists, 2.7 steals)

Shooting Guard

Raymond Felton (SG, SF), Charlotte Bobcats

I told you to pick him up last week. If you had listened, then you would have been rewarded with 14.0 points on 60.0% shooting with 5.3 assists, 3.7 steals, and 1.3 3PTM.

Honorable Mention: Joe Johnson, Atlanta Hawks (17.7 points, 6.7 assists, 2.7 steals, 1.3 3PTM)

Small Forward

LeBron James (SF), Cleveland Cavaliers

This part of the “roundup” is just a battle between LeBron James and Kevin Durant. James wins this week with 36.8 points, 8.3 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.3 blocks, and 3.0 3PTM.

Honorable Mention: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder (29.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 1.3 blocks, 1.7 3PTM)

Power Forward

Paul Gasol (PF, C), L.A. Lakers

Gasol came out firing last week by averaging a double-double with 17.3 points and 17.3 rebounds. He also contributed 5.3 assists, 1.0 steals, 1.0 blocks, and a robust 60.0 FG%.

Honorable Mention: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks (50.0 FG%, 90.9 FT%, 31.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.0 steals, 1.0 blocks)

Center

Brook Lopez (PF, C), New Jersey Nets

You can’t blame Lopez for New Jersey’s problems as he turned in another solid week of play by scoring 22.5 points on 51.6% shooting and adding 11.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals, and 1.5 blocks.

Honorable Mention: Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic (63.6 FG%, 17.7 points, 13.0 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 3.0 blocks)

You Could Have Done Better

Point Guard

Mike Bibby (PG), Atlanta Hawks

Bibby has had a down season, mostly because he is trying to be an elite “real life” point guard and is not trying to¬† beef up his stat sheet. What a selfish jerk, right? Last week was more down time for Bibby owners as he put together 7.3 points and 3.0 assists.

Honorable Mention: Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks (33.3 FG%, 14.0 points, 2.3 assists)

Shooting Guard

J.R. Smith (SG, SF), Denver Nuggets

Smith failed to please owners by shooting a remarkably bad 30.6% from the field and scoring just 10.8 points.

Honorable Mention: Michael Redd, Milwaukee Bucks (11.0 points, 2.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists)

Small Forward

Paul Pierce (SG, SF), Boston Celtics

Pierce lands here for the second week in a row due to his poor shooting (37.9%) which led to poor scoring (13.7 points). His 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists were not typical Pierce stats either.

Honorable Mention: Boris Diaw, Charlotte Bobcats (36.4 FG%, 8.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, 0.3 assists)

Power Forward

Nene Hilario (PF, C), Denver Nuggets

Nene is overrated and he proved it with 9.5 points and 0.8 blocks. The 8.0 rebounds were good, but too bad you had to sacrifice everything else.

Honorable Mention: Marvin Williams, Atlanta Hawks (33.3 FG%, 10.5 points, 4.5 rebounds 0.5 steals)

Center

Spencer Hawes (PF, C), Sacramento Kings

Hawes isn’t putting up big numbers you want from a Center. He continued his mediocrity last week with 10.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 0.3 blocks.

Honorable Mention: Brad Miller, Chicago Bulls (40.6 FG%, 7.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, 0.0 blocks)

Players to Pick Up

Maurice Evans (SG, SF), Atlanta Hawks

Marvin Williams has been battling a stomach virus lately and Evans got his first start of the season on Sunday. He had already been getting increased playing time in his last three games, leading to 18.3 points and 5.0 rebounds in that time.

Brandon Rush (SG, SF), Indiana Pacers

Rush will see increased playing time in the absence of Danny Granger

Dahntay Jones (SG, SF), Indiana Pacers

It is the same situation as Brandon Rush. Somebody needs to step up and fill the void that Danny Granger has left. Jones will be starting at small forward for the next few weeks.

Chris Duhon (PG), New York Knicks

December is by far his best month yet: 12.2 points, 6.7 assists, 2.5 3PTM.

Samuel Dalembert (C), Philadelphia 76ers

Averaging 8.3 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.0 steals and 2.3 blocks in his last seven games.

Sports of Boston Basketball League

• I slip into 3rd place after a 7-2 victory.
  • SoB’s KC remains in first despite his first loss of the season.
  • Recent pickups include: Raymond Felton, Luke Ridnour, and Mickael Pietrus.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 comments for “Fantasy Basketball Roundup: Week 7”

1. It looks like Funston’s love for Brook Lopez was warranted…

Posted by KC | December 15, 2009, 6:23 am
  2. You are such a Brook Lopez hater.

Lamar Odom sucks: 40.6% shooting and 8.3 points.

Brick was right all along!!!!

Posted by Pete | December 15, 2009, 4:22 pm
  3. I wasn’t hating, the love was warranted! On Lamar Odom, the argument doesn’t hold anymore because he’s 30 and Lopez is just 21. You can’t compare them now.

But, look at Odom’s past years, he was pretty valuable!

Posted by KC | December 15, 2009, 9:04 pm
  4. I wasn’t comparing Odom and Lopez.

I am pointing out that you were hating on Lopez and he is awesome and you love Odom, but he is crap.

Posted by Pete | December 16, 2009, 3:34 pm
  5. I don’t love Odom! I just hate Brick’s unwarranted hate. It makes no sense. Look at his early career when Brick actually hated him. He was averaging around 15 points (on about 48% shooting), 10 boards, one block, and one three per game from 2004-2008. That’s not a good fantasy player in the sixth round? You guys are crazy haha.

On Lopez: He is a good player, but on every team, even the awful ones, someone needs to score/produce. He’s the best player on one of the worst NBA teams this decade. You weren’t willing to take the risk on Lopez! I thought a second or third round pick was completely ridiculous, but I also forgot that all NBA teams have at least one good fantasy player. On the Nets, it’s Lopez.

Posted by KC | December 17, 2009, 3:32 am
  6. Oh my, here we go again. Pete is clearly on the correct side of the argument. KC has this illusion of King Odom carrying fantasy teams to victory year after year…oh the pity I feel.

Posted by Chris | December 17, 2009, 5:51 pm
  7. Oh yeah, and bring back my boy Granger!

Posted by Chris | December 17, 2009, 5:59 pm
  8. I don’t care what Lamar Scrotum has done in the past. Today, he is a piece of garbage.

Even as late as last season you were singing Odom’s praises, and he was ineffective at that time as well.

Stop hating on Brook Lopez. It is true that I didn’t take the risk on him, but I wasn’t the one who was overcome with rage when I saw how high he was ranked on Yahoo! and on Funston’s Big Board.

Posted by Pete | December 17, 2009, 6:29 pm
  9. We’re not even arguing the same thing.

Odom’s past his prime already, and will not be a Hall of Famer. In a situation where Pau Gasol was NOT there, he’d pick up more of the offensive slack. I last “sang his praise” before last season, but I didn’t realize how much he’d be taken out of the offensive gameplan. So when Brick was hating (back in 2005 or so), he really was hating for no reason.

and because I know both of you know I’m right about Odom’s past value (because that point is impossible to argue), I’ll stop talking about him (I didn’t even bring him up!).

Lopez is a good player yes, but I just felt that was a bit early (in just Lopez’s second year). He seemed like a sleeper candidate to me, and I felt it was early to put him in the same class as Paul Pierce and Carmelo Anthony.

and finally…I think Dwight Howard was better than Lopez this past week, based on the numbers!

Posted by KC | December 17, 2009, 8:41 pm
  10. Last season, when I asked Brick in the draft room if I should take Odom, he definitively said “NO! and proclaimed that he was useless.

The two of you argued back and forth about the matter for a few minutes and then it went away.

As it turns out, Brick was right as since then, Odom’s minutes have diminished and he has become worthy of dropping in most leagues.

Brick was like Nostradamus when it came to Odom. Brick was right and you were wrong.

Rafer Alston sucks too.

Posted by Pete | December 17, 2009, 9:51 pm
  11. HA! As long as you admit Brick was like Nostradamus with Odom, I will agree to that and I accept being wrong about his fantasy value for the 2008-2009 season (I never denied being wrong about this, ever…). His fall from “grace” really wasn’t expected.

But, I don’t know why you won’t admit his numbers from 2004-2008 were not only good for your fantasy team, but also good value in the sixth round (where he was typically drafted).

Ditto about Alston.

If the point of these comments is to insult my fantasy basketball knowledge, you have done that (even if you’re incorrect). I’m going to go cry in the corner now :(

Posted by KC | December 18, 2009, 5:24 am
  12. Oh I didn’t want to insult your knowledge of the game. I just wanted you to admit that Odom has been a crap fantasy player this season and last season.

I had no reason to discuss what Odom had done in the prior years because that was not the point of my argument.

Last season was my first season back in fantasy basketball after a three-year hiatus, so I never got to experience the good Lamar Odom. So when it came time to make my pick, I asked you guys what you thought of Odom and of course, Brick said he was crap and you defended his honor.

And we all know the story from there.

SIDE NOTE

Lopez had the better week than Howard due to FT%, which I failed to mention in the post.

Howard: 25/39, 64.1 FT%