|Rajon Rondo Trade Rumors: 5 Teams He Could End Up With||Connelly’s Top Ten: Less Than a Week to Opening Day!||Why 2014 Should Make Red Sox Fans Smile||Former Bruins Player Carol Vadnais Dies|
Just after Judge Susan Nelson’s ruling to grant the NFLPA a preliminary injunction to halt the lockout, Patriots Nose Tackle Vice Wilfork gave us even more reason to hope there isn’t a lockout.
At a charity breakfast hosted by teammate Matt Light Tuesday morning, Wilfork said he would consider retiring if we don’t have a football season this fall. Yes you heard correct, he would seriously think about hanging up the pads.
“A full season, that’s a season gone. I mean, eight years, it’s not like I’m in my first or second year,” Said Wilfork, “I’m down at a place that I love, that’s home for me, Florida. Being able to sit back and enjoy my ranch, enjoy kids, enjoy great weather all the time, who wouldn’t think about that?”
Wilfork said that the ruling to halt the lockout is positive but he thinks that there is still a long way to go.
“It is a 50/50. It’s a possibility, it’s definitely a possibility,” Wilfork said.
Wilfork was just made the second highest paid defensive tackle in the league last year when the Patriots gave him a 5-year deal worth $40 million. That’s a lot of change to walk away from. $25 million of the deal was guaranteed and he was given an $18 million signing bonus.
He would be owed $765,000 in 2011, $4.5 million in 2012, $6.5 million in 2013 and $7.5 million in 2014. Again, that’s a lot of cash to kiss goodbye.
For a defense that was lacking veteran leaders, Wilfork was one of them last season. Potentially losing him would be a big setback for a Patriots D-Line that’s looking for more help.
Wilfork was drafted with the 21st overall pick by the Patriots in 2004. In 106 career games, he has 360 tackles and 9.5 sacks