|Video: Bill Belichick Deflate-Gate Press Conference||The National Media is to Blame for Deflategate Outrage||Forget Deflate-Gate: Let’s Look Back to the Actual AFC Championship Game…||The New Brady Six: Super Bowls|
What We Learned This Week:
Week of 2/23-3/1
1. Jason Varitek retired. A good way to honor the Captain is to retire that hockey-style captain’s “C” that was on his jersey. Don’t give it out to anyone else, so that Jason Varitek will be the only Red Sox player in team history to ever wear the “C.” Someday soon, hopefully the Sox will have a day of honor at Fenway for Tim Wakefield and Varitek. Wake can throw out the first knuckleball, and Varitek can chase it all the way to the backstop. Just like old times.
2. The Red Sox have banned beer in the clubhouse. Will shots of whiskey before playoff games still be allowed?
3. Fenway Park caught on fire. Unfortunately, neither John Lackey’s nor Carl Crawford’s contracts were burned up in the blaze.
4. The Bruins, who were shut out 5 times in February, hope to add more firepower by bringing back Brian Rolston. Can Jozef Stumpel and Rob Zamuner be far behind?
5. Bobby Valentine is already mouthing off about the Yankees. He doesn’t make much sense with his comments, but that doesn’t matter. Valentine loves to stir the pot, and he knows he won’t be unpopular in New England for irritating Yankee players. But the whole thing would work better if his comments actually made sense, and if he didn’t have to publicly admit he was wrong the next day.
6. Luke Scott thinks Red Sox fans are vulgar. Well why not say so, when it’s pretty clear that they often are? Sox fans will probably yell plenty of swear words at Luke Scott this year, in addition to calling him a moron redneck racist. Well why not say so, when it’s pretty clear that he often is?