David Ortiz, Yaz Connelly’s Top Ten: Koufax Vs. Gibson / Post 20 K / Legos Matt Kemp is the wrong target for the Red Sox (Photo by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images) Red Sox – Dodgers Trade Rumor: Jon Lester for Matt Kemp? Patriots Training Camp Patriots Training Camp Notes: Tom Brady Sees Fewer Reps Red Sox ace Jon Lester throws for the American League All-Star Game from Target Field in Minnesota. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images) Red Sox Trade Rumors: AJ Pierzynski to Cardinals, Jon Lester to…

Connelly’s Top Ten: LeBron James Too Good?

LeBron James (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

1. Celtics:

* For what its worth – LeBron had the “eye of the tiger” early
* I know I have been anti-Pierce for some time BUT these games are a lot more than great games
* Yes, I know Pierce hit a big shot
* Heat, other than James, was 18-50 from field
* Michael Pietrus must have been terrible at the flinch game in elementary school – he goes for every fake – tell him to not try to block shots
* Shane Battier must have been on the Duke diving team
* Surprised they left James out there for 45 minutes
* Celtics 1-14 from three point land
* Pierce’s shooting percentage by series: Atlanta 42.9% (terrible) / Sixers 40.2% (God awful) / Miami 33.9% (fraud)
* Rondo has actually been a better jump shooter than Pierce in the playoffs

2. Thunder:

* At one position would the Celtics be better than the Thunder?
* Who would cover Durant?
* Perk face could be coming back to Boston

3. Red Sox:

* Clay Buchholz 6 wins with 5.77 ERA
* Dice K taking the mound – like sands from the hour glass
* Under 3 hours wow (2:50)
* Can’t believe Kelly Shoppach has been complaining about playing time
* Darnell McDonald is back – all is well

4. Jets:

* Gotta love Santonio Holmes complaining already in Jets land
* Tebow must think he’s gone to hell
* This is a busy time for Sanchez with high school proms and Jets stuff

5. European Cup – my list:

1. Spain
  2. Germany
  3. Portugal
  4. Netherlands
  5. France – unless they surrender and allow Germany to have the game

6. “Bar Fight” Comment:

Interesting comment from Paul Pierce re-told by Jeff Van Gundy – “We want to make this a bar fight” – isn’t that where he got stabbed?

7. Amazing Stat:

Daniel Nava is hitting .306.

8. Old School:

Tim Thomas flopping away from the game next year – he is reminding me of Dave Cowens in many ways – remember the big red head’s sabbatical and driving a cab?

9. Just a Little Bit Outside:

Animal House – No one’s career did well after the comedy classic.

10. Randomocity:

* Congrats to local product Chris Shaw of Lexington High School getting drafted this week in the MLB
* NBC has to be taking a beating on the Stanley Cup
* Crazy cut on Wayne Lukas head from being kicked by horse

About Michael

Lifelong Boston resident who finds equal enjoyment in celebrating the local team's success as I do complaining about their failures. I have been writing the Top Ten for the last decade as well as five sports books: 26 Miles to Boston, Rebound, The President's Team, The Great Book of Boston Sports Lists and NBA List Jam.

Tags: ,

8 comments for “Connelly’s Top Ten: LeBron James Too Good?”

1. Great line about Fance and Germany.

I think that it was Joe Fitzgerald who wrote an article in the Herald that gave an interesting perspective on the Thomas sabbatical. He did compare it to Cowens. Aurbach was quoted in it. He defended Cowens a bit. For me, Thomas has earned the benefit of the doubt. He’s not a pampered, spoiled, petulant pro athlete.

REPLY – MPC – I’m ;a huge Thomas fan as was a Cowens fan – they gave you everthing in this day and age thats a rarity

Posted by David H | June 8, 2012, 8:43 am
  2. Donald Sutherland may have been the only one with a great career after Animal House.

REPLY – MPC – I thought he was better before Animal House than after – Kelley’s Heroes being a great job

Posted by Bob | June 8, 2012, 9:34 am
  3. I’ve been hating on the Sox pitching as much as anyone…but we may have to lay off Buchholz for a little while. His last three starts he’s gone 24 innings, 18 hits, 4 runs, 19 k’s, only 4 walks and a 1.50 ERA. Wednesday’s game was 2:31. Did they forget they play in the AL? GREAT line on Sanchez and the proms….good to have you back!

REPLY – MPC – Fair point on pitching / are you kidding 2:31

Posted by Jerry M | June 8, 2012, 9:40 am
  4. As fans, we’re in Thomas’ debt. However, he’s been a pretty big distraction since the beginning of last season, and he does take a holier than thou attitude to everybody. I found it ironic that he needs to get back to the “3 Fs” but still found time to hawk his business ventures in the same breath.

REPLY – MPC – I have always been a fan of Thomas but his White House episode was selfish – if you can move him I’m fine with it as you have got a lot out of him

Posted by Curly | June 8, 2012, 10:20 am
  5. Was wondering where the “Trade Rondo” comment was today? MC are you ok, usually that is the lead. Game 7 is “grit and balls” vs. “eye of tiger” legacy. Kevin Bacon seemed to do OK after Animal House “remain calm, all is well”

REPLY – MPC – Excellent one Kevin Bacon / I still trade Rondo as soon as postseason over because I think his odd behavior will only get worse the bigger he gets – he is at his highest trade value (would you take Bynum for him?)

Posted by kevin | June 8, 2012, 11:21 am
  6. It’s an obvious caveat, but I hope all are well in Thomas’ family. However, I agree with Curly that it’s odd that Thomas preaches of the “3-F’s” but also promotes his workout system.

Thomas has had an axe to grind against the B’s since they explored trading him in the 2010 Summer. He came back with a mask that had no black & gold, etc. They begged him before hand to not pull the White House stunt, & he did it anyway. BTW, to show his contempt for B’s management, Thomas did not personally tell Chiarelli of his decision to take a year off. Instead, he had his agent do it. Nice touch.

Because of Thomas’ animosity towards the B’s management, I’m suspicious of his announced plan to take a year off. I think he is trying to stick it to the Bruins & limit where he can be traded after July 1.

I think Thomas will be playing somewhere else next year, but the B’s will get virtually nothing in return for him. They’ll be happy just to avoid the cap hit. They’ll go with Tuukka, who now has all the leverage in his contract talks (btw, Tuukka & Thomas share the same agent).

Last Thomas comment: personally, I think it would have been nice if Thomas took the time & space in his postings to thank his former Bruins teammates. Stay classy, Tim-me-me-me.

REPLY – MPC – Question is did you appreciate Thomas?

Posted by Bob T. | June 8, 2012, 11:40 am
  7. Great stuff as always Mike!

Posted by Fan of Mike | June 8, 2012, 2:43 pm
  8. Y’know, as you might guess from my cyber name, I do appreciate Tim T. No Cup without him, and his 2010-2011 year will go down as one of the great seasons in NHL history, and, of course, he was part of the finest team in UVM history.
    But not only did the White House stuff sandbag the Bruins, but insulted the taxpayers who helped his career. Tim was a scholarship athlete: He had his education and hockey equipment paid for by taxpayers, who helped further a career in which he earned many millions of dollars (although much to his credit he busted his butt to get there and earn them). He played in NHL arenas further subsidized by taxpayers. He flew on airlines to professional games on planes guided by federal employees to and from airports built by federal funds. To thumb his nose at taxpayers by refusing to go to the White House while ranting about “Big Government” and excess taxation was not only hypocritical, but insulting to those who helped pay his way.

Posted by vermontk | June 8, 2012, 3:08 pm