|Joe Kelly and His Moustache Continue to Impress||Hanley Moving to First! Red Sox Defense is Saved!||Connelly’s Top Ten: Patriots 3rd Game, Trades, 9/11 Fallout||Miracles Do Happen! Porcello, Tazawa Outduel Sale, White Sox in Red Sox Shutout|
* Pitching coach Bob McClure is saying that Jon Lester is having bad luck “one of those streaks where every ball is falling” ya they’re falling alright – right onto Lansdowne Street.
* Great to see Pedroia take a leadership role and try to encourage Lester
* The Lester era should be over in Boston – his surly disposition and lack of location could be fixed with a change of address.
* So much for the Cody Ross walk-off home run turning the season around
* Despite the rancid play on the field – Fenway was 102.1% of capacity – cha-ching!
* It could have been worse if the Sox didn’t turn three double plays
* Red Sox lineup had no .300 hitters
* Salty down to .228 / Nava down to .250
* Starting pitchers ERA – Dice K 6.65 / Jon Lester 5.46 / Clay Buchholz 5.19 / Josh Beckett 4.53
* Subliminal advertising? Ever hear the beer salesman yell out Bud Light near the on-field microphones (don’t put it past them)
* Glad they are losing – they will be more likely to dump players
* Tiger Woods must have loved Adam Scott choking on the last four holes with his former caddy Stevie Williams on the bag
* Jack Nicklaus can scratch another major off the list that Tiger doesn’t close in on him
* Nice consolation – you throw up on the course but still bring home $812,292 for second place
* Spanish golfer Andres Romero made the cut Friday and then went 77 / 82 on the weekend
* I think those sand traps are actually unfair – rather play the waterfall hole at Wonder Mountain up in Wells, Maine
I know the Hall of Fame needs someone inducted each year, BUT Barry Larkin is only very good and not excellent. Under .300 average / under 200 home runs / under 2,500 hits.
39 Days to Opening Day for Penn State football at University Park versus Ohio
Kevin Garnett – 5th
Chris Wilcox – 8th
Paul Pierce – 10th
Jason Terry – 10th
Rajon Rondo – 21st
Jared Sullinger – 21st
Courtney Lee – 22nd
Fab Melo – 22nd
Brandon Bass 33rd
Kris Joseph – 51st
* How about the red hot Oakland A’s and their four-game sweep of the Yankees
* Baltimore Orioles are the only team in baseball that have scored less runs than given up, but are over .500
* Houston Astros are 10-41 on the road – don’t you go to the Holiday Inn and make them fly coach until they start competing?
* Miguel Cabrera is four years away from the Hall of Fame if he can stay out of the Betty Ford clinic
* Jason Kubel has 71 RBI – you kidding me?
* Mets really want to mess with RA Dickey and bring him out of the bullpen between starts?
* When was the last time closers from Baltimore, Tampa, Cleveland and Kansas City were in the top five in saves?
For Marvin Hagler’s greatest fight against John Mugabi – he earned $2.6mm plus a percentage of the gate with the chance to equal $5mm at age 31. The fight was Hagler’s 12th defense of his title
The recent first inning abominations by the Red Sox staff reminds me of Ramon Martinez’s woes back in 2000 with the Red Sox when his ERA was 11.77 in the first inning with .308 average against. Pitching coaches started simulating innings in the bullpen to change his approach.
How about the television stations that broadcast the nominees for the Emmy for Best Drama (note no ABC / NBC / CBS):
* Please don’t take this as a casual reference to the terrible tragedy at the Batman movies but I have wondered this point at movies myself – why are there babies and infants being brought to PG13 and R movies? Never mind a midnight movie?
* Interesting that Red Sox are pushing Bruce Springsteen tix behind home plate – surprised they are available
* Look for Francona to be named manager somewhere in the offseason and make a run at Pedroia
* The movie the Watch with Vince Vaughn is being released less than a year after the Zimmerman – Trayvon Martin tragedy
* After sitting close to the field recently for a Major League game – I would like to suggest a new TV reality show in which each athlete gets to pick one loud mouth out of stands to fight him out on the mound in front of 45,000 to prove how tough the loud mouth really is.