|Winning the Wire and the Playoffs: Week 15 Fantasy Sleepers||MLB and NPB Agree to New Posting System; Masahiro Tanaka Posting In Doubt||Bruins Get Fortunate Win in Jarome Iginla’s Return to Calgary||Matt Kemp to the Red Sox? Not the Right Guy, Not the Right Time|
* I love Victorino trying to score from second on the pass ball – that’s exactly what this team needs
* Plenty of good seats available at Yankee Stadium
* Dustin Pedroia can’t be sliding in head first to first – effort is appreciated but stupid
* Say it ain’t so Ben: Free agents signed this winter David Ortiz, Stephen Drew, Ryan Dempster and Shane Victorino cost $50mm!
* Starters Will Middlebrooks, Jose Iglesias and Jackie Bradley cost $3mm
* If Iglesias can stay hot – move him, Bailey and Ellsbury by Memorial Day
* Pettitte win / Rivera save – how many times has that happened?
* Game times 3:37 / 3:35 / 2:38
With the Bruins securing the services of Jaromir Jagr (winning goal off his skates) – one of the top 15 players in hockey history – what other Hall of Famers did they obtain over the last 50 years: Adam Oates, Brian Leetch, Cam Neely, Paul Coffey, Joe Mullen, Guy Lapointe, Brad Park, Serge Savard, Jean Ratelle, Phil Esposito, Jacques Plante,
Interestingly, fired Rutgers assistant Erik Murdock is either eligible for state funded whistle blowing compensation or going to jail for extortion requesting $950,000 from the school before releasing the video of Rutgers basketball coach Mike “tough guy” Rice.
In Dominique Wilkins’ one year with the Celtics, he averaged 15.2 shots a game in 31.5 minutes (shot 42% and averaged 17.8 points)
* Talk about parity, after just three games – only one team is undefeated (Nationals)
* Don’t look now but Carl Crawford is leading the National League in hitting – .556
* Top five fantasy players right now – Chris Davis, Michael Morse, Richie Weeks, Gerardo Prado, Carlos Gonzalez
* Frank Robinson – 2006
* Tony Perez – 2001
* Yoga Berra – 1985
* Bob Lemon – 1982
* Larry Doby – 1978:
In 1950, Yankees stars Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio, Jerry Coleman and Phil Rizzuto went to the plate a combined 2,599 times and struck out 122 times / In the first HALF of the 2009 season, Mark Reynolds struck out 123 times in 372 plate appearances.
In the 1963 World Series, the Dodgers swept the Yankees even though they hit .214 as a team (the Yankees hit .171). Starting pitchers in the series: Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Johnny Podres, Whitey Ford, Jim Bouton, Al Downing
If you invested $10,000 in Popeye Chicken’s parent company AFC Enterprises on October 12, 2011 when the Bob Hohler story came out in the Globe on pitchers’ beer and chicken consumption, that investment would be worth $27,521 as of the closing bell today ($12.53 a share to $34.76)
* Miami Heat losing their winning streak is a like a pitcher losing a no-hitter. Coach is now able to take them out and rest them for the playoffs (or the pitcher to protect against a high pitch count)
* Interesting picture of Ortiz and A-Rod talking this week – $40mm of salaries not playing
* Rick Pitino was hoping for a temporary coma for his broken-legged player to further motivate his team
* Hate to have the Drew family on the North Korean border right now
* Every high school and college field in the northeast should be synthetic turf
* After four games, Jerry Bengtson is leading the Revolution in goals with ONE