|Red Sox Bullpen Sleeper: Matt Barnes||The Case For Trading Clay Buchholz||Connelly’s Top Ten: 1812 Overture Rendition of the Top Ten||Management Forced Its Hand With Rick Porcello, Red Sox Nation Pays|
On Tuesday morning, FOX 25 reporter Mike Beaudet told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich” that an alleged survivor who was in the car at the time of the double homicide in the South End in 2012 has come forward. The survivor claims he saw the face of the shooter and has identified the shooter as former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.
In his interview with Beaudet, the survivor, who wished to remain anonymous because he feared for his safety, told Beaudet he wanted answers as to why Hernandez shot and killed two of his friends. According to the survivor, on the night of the murder, the men left a Boston nightclub in their car at 2 a.m. and was at a stoplight. That’s when he claims Hernandez drove up in a gray SUV, shouted “what up negroes” right before opening fire into the car. The survivor claims Hernandez just started shooting for no reason and that the men had no connections to Hernandez at all. “They just came to kill, that’s all,” says the survivor. The incident left two men, Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado of Dorcester dead and many questioning why.
The credibility and timing of the eye-witness accounts are questionable. If the eye-witness had known it was Hernandez for the past year, why wait until now to finally say something, especially when two people have lost their lives? The survivor claims he did not know who Hernandez was until Hernandez was arrested for the murder of Lloyd and that’s when he realized that was the same guy that shot his friends. It’s a little hard to believe the survivor did not know who Hernandez was seeing Hernandez was a professional football player who was constantly in the Boston media. It would have been easy for the survivor to connect two and two together.
That’s not to say Hernandez was an innocent bystander in the case by any means. Hernandez has been a person of interest in the double murders investigation since his arrest in the murder of Odin Lloyd back in June. Now that investigators have a possible eye-witness in the case, the case against Hernandez is becoming more concrete with a significant amount of evidence complied against Hernandez.
According to the Hartford Courant, police have surveillance video of Hernandez with the two victims hours before the murder in Club Cure in Boston. Witnesses report the men were involved in a fight earlier in the night and also claim a gray SUV with Rhode Island license plates opened fire on another car. The gray SUV of interest was rented under Hernandez’s name and was eventually recovered in the home of Hernandez’s uncle. The gun investigators were looking for in connection to the double homicide was also recovered this June in a vehicle driven by a woman from Bristol, Conn., the same town as Hernandez.
Hernandez is currently behind bars on a first-degree murder charge in connection with the death of Odin Lloyd and could face the possibility of more charges in connection with the 2012 double homicide. As police continued to investigate the death of Lloyd, they also had cause to believe Hernandez may have been involved in the unsolved double murder.