Tonight marks the second pre-season game for the New England Patriots. They’ll be taking on Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium. This will be the first time we’ll get to see the Patriots starters in action, as most of the top players sat out the game in Washington last week. Providing an in-depth preview for pre-season games is useless, but here is a list of things to keep an eye on during the game tonight.
- Tom Brady will likely play just a series or two. This will be his warm-up game, but he should be expected to play the entire first half next week against Carolina.
- Darrelle Revis play his first snaps in a Patriots uniform. Just stay healthy.
- Receiver Brian Tyms. Last week’s breakout offensive player could see some action with the 1′s tonight.
- Rookie running back James White saw an increase in reps during practice this week. It’ll be interesting to see how much he’s involved during the first few offensive possessions.
- Jerod Mayo has missed the past three practices. I’ll be surprised if he plays tonight, but hopefully we’ll learn more about his absences soon.
- Offensive line. The unit struggled to protect Ryan Mallett last week. Their performance will be under a microscope tonight.
- Who starts at safety? Duron Harmon has been the favorite to start alongside Devin McCourty, but Patrick Chung has seems to have surpassed Harmon in practice. It’ll be interesting to see how the reps are divided tonight.
- Backup quarterback. Ryan Mallett will have to improve upon his poor performance last week. Jimmy Garoppolo had an outstanding week of practice, and Mallett could become expendable if he continues to struggle and Garoppolo continues to shine.
Tags: Brian Tyms, Darrelle Revis, james white, Jerod Mayo, Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Ryan Mallett, Tom Brady