With the first two pre-season games in the books this Patriots team is beginning to fold into shape.
Save a pick-six that was intended for tackle turned tight-end Steve Maneri, the first string offense looked very impressive.
The highlight of the night was Tom Brady’s back-shoulder touchdown pass to Kenbrell Thompkins. The back-shoulder throw has emerged as an almost unstoppable weapon in the NFL the past few years (nobody uses it more than Aaron Rodgers), but Brady rarely utilizes it. Thompkins started the game at receiver alongside Edelman and Amendola, and it’ll very interesting to see how he is used in Week 1. Continue reading Monday Afternoon Rewind: Patriots vs Eagles »
Tags: Brian Tyms, Darrelle Revis, james white, Joe Vellano, Kenbrell Thompkins, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Malcolm Butler, New England Patriots, Stevan Ridley, Tom Brady
The Boston Celtics will officially lose out on the services of superstar power forward Kevin Love on August 23. Once the calendar turns to that date, the Cleveland Cavaliers are going to send the first overall pick of the 2014 Draft, Andrew Wiggins, along with a few other assets to Minnesota in exchange for Love. Before Cleveland signed LeBron James, it appeared the Celtics were one of the few teams that had a chance to acquire Love, but the Cavs had plans of their own to sign the big man once James decided to head back home to Ohio.
The Celts were very vocal about the potential of a big offseason this year, but as of now their biggest moves have been re-signing Avery Bradley and acquiring free agent Evan Turner. The question the C’s now face is what to do moving forward, after co-owner Wyc Grousbeck admitted that his team missed out on the “fireworks” they had been hoping for. Continue reading Celtics Should Continue Patient Approach to Rebuilding Process »
Tags: Celtics, Kevin Love, LeBron James, Rajon Rondo
1. Cliff Notes:
* Red Sox playing out string
* Patriots countdown continues – they need to trade a QB
* English Premier League rolling
* Ice Bucket challenge keeps cruising
* Bowling under-rated
2. Red Sox:
* Game Times vs Houston: 3:19 / 3:46 / 3:50 / 3:11
* Nava since being recalled – 54-163 (.331)
* Pedroia since Shaughnessy article saying he was on the back nine 54-166 (.325)
* Boston has only stolen 38 bases this year and been caught 20 Continue reading Connelly’s Top Ten: Red Sox vs. Paint Drying »
Tags: Connelly's Top Ten, Top Ten
Ted Williams. Carl Yastrzemski. David Ortiz. Does he belong in the same sentence with the other two Red Sox legends? Well, after a two-HR night on Saturday, Ortiz has certainly entered the conversation:
Continue reading Video: David Ortiz Hits 400th (and 401st) Home Run(s) with Red Sox »
Tags: David Ortiz, Red Sox
Koji Uehara wants to continue, and quite possibly, finish his career as the Red Sox bullpen’s closer. It is up to the likes of Ben Cherrington and the rest of the front office to make this happen soon. Uehara becomes a free agent at the end of the 2014 season.
Even though his command has been a bit off this season, he is still playing well above par for the ballclub to the tune of 5-2 and a 1.32 ERA. The Red Sox would be crazy to let him go, right?
Continue reading Should the Red Sox Make A Deal with Koji Uehara? »
Tags: Boston Red Sox, Bullpen, closer, free agent, Koji Uehara
Tonight marks the second pre-season game for the New England Patriots. They’ll be taking on Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium. This will be the first time we’ll get to see the Patriots starters in action, as most of the top players sat out the game in Washington last week. Providing an in-depth preview for pre-season games is useless, but here is a list of things to keep an eye on during the game tonight.
- Tom Brady will likely play just a series or two. This will be his warm-up game, but he should be expected to play the entire first half next week against Carolina.
- Darrelle Revis play his first snaps in a Patriots uniform. Just stay healthy.
- Receiver Brian Tyms. Last week’s breakout offensive player could see some action with the 1′s tonight.
- Rookie running back James White saw an increase in reps during practice this week. It’ll be interesting to see how much he’s involved during the first few offensive possessions.
- Jerod Mayo has missed the past three practices. I’ll be surprised if he plays tonight, but hopefully we’ll learn more about his absences soon.
- Offensive line. The unit struggled to protect Ryan Mallett last week. Their performance will be under a microscope tonight.
- Who starts at safety? Duron Harmon has been the favorite to start alongside Devin McCourty, but Patrick Chung has seems to have surpassed Harmon in practice. It’ll be interesting to see how the reps are divided tonight.
- Backup quarterback. Ryan Mallett will have to improve upon his poor performance last week. Jimmy Garoppolo had an outstanding week of practice, and Mallett could become expendable if he continues to struggle and Garoppolo continues to shine.
Continue reading Patriots vs Eagles: What to Watch for »
Tags: Brian Tyms, Darrelle Revis, james white, Jerod Mayo, Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Ryan Mallett, Tom Brady
1. Cliff Notes:
* Three more summer weekends – where did it go
* Did Brady do the ice bucket challenge or just pour
* Pete Frates is turning into an American hero
* Enjoy every day!
2. Red Sox Hall of Fame: Nomar
* In 2003 he was on his way to be the greatest Red Sox ever
* He is an example of steroids ruining a Hall of Fame destiny
* His Rookie Year – 209 hits – 44 doubles / 11 triples / 30 HR
* He hit .365 in 1999 and 2000 combined Continue reading Connelly’s Top Ten: Na-nu Na-nu »
Tags: Connelly's Top Ten, Top Ten