Drafting David Pastrnak 25th overall back in 2014 is looking more and more like a steal after each passing game.
Pastrnak scored a pair of goals in the Bruins 4-3 win over the Florida Panthers Tuesday night, including an overtime game-winner that put Cats goaltender Roberto Luongo’s jock-strap to the rafters, and sent B’s fans into pandemonium at the TD Garden thus lifting his total to 15 on the season.
Pastrnak’s rise from a skinny hopeful to a scoring machine is just one of a few things I want to discuss here while also hitting on some other Bruins takes from the past week or so. Let’s get started: Continue reading Bruins Quick Hits »
Yes this headline is very misleading. The Patriots put up 26 points and defeated The Rams 26-10 on sunday, however if you really watched the game the offense was not impressive.
After giving up 49 points last week The Rams defense was on the ropes, and as a whole I’m sure they were a team that was looking to get home after back to back games in the pacific time zone. The Patriots scored on their first possession, a 4th and 1 rush by LeGarrette Blount that went for 43 yards and a touchdown. Then they scored early in the second on a touchdown pass from Tom Brady to Chris Hogan, however after this the offense hit a wall.
The Patriots average 3.1 offensive touchdowns per game, yesterday they scored 2 and struggled to do so. Without Gronk the offense doesn’t thrive like they should. Not having that big body in the middle of the field hurts them, Gronk is a matchup nightmare, he does things on the football field that most guys can only dream of doing. The Patriots always preach about finishing drives off with touchdowns, well yesterday they kicked 4 field goals. When the playoffs come around you have to score touchdowns, not kick field goals. On the season The Patriots have been stellar on 3rd downs. They are 6th in the league with a conversion rate of 44.5%. Yesterday they were 4-12 on third down. When Brady needs a completion he looks for his hall of fame tight end, and when he’s not there things change.
The Patriots are still the favorites in the AFC, but without Gronk it levels the playing field. The defense will have to play more like it did yesterday, and multiple guys are going to have to step up on offense to pick up the slack of Gronk not being there.
1.Patriots vs. Rams
· Patriots have won at least ten games every year since 2002 – spoiled are we!
· After watching the Pats again this week – I still feel the lack enough talent to win the AFC championship (not as fun without Gronk)
· Insane the Matt Patricia look alike in the crowd
· Lots of empty seats to start the game – gotta finish that last beer and then men’s room and then stop for a beer at the concession
· Fox was killing us with the 201 win angle but they brought some great stats to the table especially the win – loss record when trailing or tied in the 4th quarter 50-42.
· I presume that Brady did the Shields commercial as a favor to someone
· Drives me crazy watching TJ McDonald drive Brady into the ground and the franchise having to defend himself. Someone touches Brady ten players should be on top of him
· Why don’t teams play Blount to bounce everything outside
· Concerning the lack of connection between Brady and Bennett – last three weeks 6 receptions for 40 yards / Since having three TD’s on 10/9 – hasn’t scored
· I like the Pats keeping Lewis touches to a minimum
· Chris Hogan is a pretty boy blocker – goes to the area but doesn’t want to hit anyone
· Great day for Malcom Mitchell but he heard about the last target that he didn’t come back to the ball
· Three screens set up for big gainers but blocks missed by Cannon, Devlin and Hogan shut them down
· With Gronk out – Edelman is going to get abused – hope he makes the playoffs
· Insane that the Pats have scored touchdowns on seven of their first twelve drives of the year
· Blount is to Barry Sanders as Maurice Alexander is Harlan Barnett – spun around and inside out
· Chris Long one tackle (sack) and the announcers and team went crazy like he was Ray Nitschke
· I’ve been begging for an aggressive defensive game plan all year and I finally got it – thanks Yukon
· Good day for Shea McClellin who had a sack, got his drivers permit and carried a cheerleaders books to class
BELICHICK GARB / KRAFT SIGHTINGS
· Bill went with shortsleeve sweat coat (equipment guy has to hook him up with some sunglasses)
· Robert had another huge day – not only several sightings – highlights of the 2001 Super Bowl team mainly featured him (That was him who returned the Kurt Warner pass wasn’t it?)
· No one trusts more in Bill than me – BUT – the preseason ESPN player rankings had Gronk as #3 / Chandler Jones #56 / Jamie Collins as #61 – you have lost three of your top four ranked players for the playoffs and you got a 2nd round and 3rd round pick in return.
· Why not bring Jerald Mayo back for last four regular season games and playoffs?
· Another drop by Cyrus Jones in punt game
· I know John Lynch is pro-Patriots but we are sensitive in New England – his reference to the pumped up footballs I’m sure is a shot at the league and not Brady
· Fox Stat – since Super Bowl – Rams are 87-147 / Pats 180-55
· Nice commercial for Malcom Butler – ch-ching – Visa – although I don’t know if I like it ending with him getting beating off the line
· If some local station did a live broadcast of the 2001 celebration Saturday night – it would have been the highest rated show of the day
· The two teams combined for 5-28 on third down
2. Around the NFL
· Patriots, Raiders and Cowboys are 17-0 on the road
· Bears, 49ers, Browns are 0-18 on the road
3. Pump the brakes – Bruins / Celtics / Patriots were 5-0 this weekend
· The five teams the played were all under .500
· Combined records of 33-56
4. Around College Football
* Congratulations to Dr. Pepper – you’re quest to find the worst athletes in America has been a success – but to parade them out on national television at halftime of games to throw a football six inches into a target is mean.
* My College Football Saturdays are over for another year – good grief!
* I was 1-3 in picks (did not give myself San Diego I had the spread wrong)
* Sad to see Verne Lunquist go to the Keith Jackson retirement home
* Any coach that runs three times into the line on first and goal should lose their job
* Three great games to end the day – Wisconsin – Penn State / Clemson – V Tech / Wyoming – San Diego
5. No on Napoli – too many strikeouts (can’t keep his shirt on either)
· Napoli – 2016 – 215 strikeouts in 609 at bats – yikes strikeout every 2.83 at bats
· Pesky – 1947 – 22 strikeouts in 638 at bats – yikes strikeout every 29 at bats
6. Dak Prescott vs. Tom Brady –
Brady 2001……11-3 / 18 TD to 12 INT / 63.9% completion / 86.5 rating
Prescott 2016 – 11-1 / 19 TD to 3 INT / 67.9% completions / 108.6 rating
7. Old School – In honor of Coach Adazzio – how about I give him a break and talk about BC’s worst football season – 1978:
· Record 0-11
· Ed Chlebek coach
· Ended the season losing to U Mass, Holy Cross and Temple
· Multiple future NFL players on that team including Fred Smerlas
8 Amazing Stat – Patriots overtime drive versus Oakland in the Snow Bowl:
· 15 plays / 8 minutes – 25 second drive
· Brady was 8 for 8 (JR Redmond 3 rec, Jermaine Wiggins 3 rec, Brown 1 reception, Patten one reception,
· Vinatieri 23 yard field goal
9 Just a Little Bit Outside – Rotten Tomato ratings out of 100% of Christmas specials:
· How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)…..100%
· Miracle on 34th Street (original of course)…97%
· It’s a Wonderful Life…………………..…..94%
· Charlie Brown Christmas……………………92%
· The Christmas Story…………………………87%
· Christmas Carol (Albert Finney best one)…..75%
· Twas the Night Before Christmas……………65%
· Christmas Vacationing……………………….64%
· Frosty the Snowman………………………….60%
· Home Alone…………………………………55%
* Watching Brady slide is painful – I think with the knee braces these QB’s wear they should be able to spike the ball to kill the play even downfield instead of sliding
* Didn’t know that the narrator’s voice on Grinch was Boris Karloff
* I read this but I’m not sure if it’s true – Coach Adazzio pulled a scholarship from a committed kicker to give to his son – the kicker Michael Geiger went to Michigan State and became an All American
* Sidenote: Patriot fans booing Adam Vinatieri is one of the drunkest things Boston fans have ever done
* With today’s technology, how wasn’t the Everett – Xaverian game at least on the computer if not the TV?
* How hard is Al Skinner laughing now
* In almost side by ads in Sports Illustrated – warnings for use of a product – Lite Beer ad – warning was 1 inch by 1/8 inch / smokeless tobacco – 2 inches by 7 inches
* Watched movie Concussion this weekend – B MINUS – You just can’t cast Luke Wilson as Roger Goodell and be taken serious.
1.Patriots vs. Rams
1.Patriots vs. Jets
· Season is over, they have no offensive creativity (Except one double pass), Gronk hurt, Brady really hurt, Bennett hurt, defense one of the worst in the last fifteen years – can’t pressure QB or cover anyone – its over. Sorry!
· Gotta love them picking on Revis for the game winner
· Off to another frustrating start – Brady hit the first two plays / doesn’t get play off on time giving Jets chance to challenge their first down and it is reversed / Have to punt getting Jordan Richards hurt (you could hear him yell)
· He has a bad injury that will need surgery at some point – might need to rest him
· Ball was sailing high on him because he can’t put pressure on knee
· Brady completely Andy Reid-ed the end of the half – what a butcher job – with 1:16 left in the half he completes pass to Amendola, doesn’t use timeout – then doesn’t get off a play until 0:45 (36 seconds!), then completes pass to Hogan at 0:40 and again doesn’t use a timeout – throws a desperation pass to Mitchell at 0:06 that’s incomplete – they have to settle for field goal which they miss – and they take the timeout into the locker room
· Do not put the Brady blocking downfield on the – “How To Block” – video
· Brady with over three seconds doesn’t work again – overthrows an open Gronk and gets him hurt
· He looked grumpy like he knew they were in big trouble
· Josh McDaniel – UGHHHH! His schemes are so vanilla – how many plays drawn up allow a defender to run free to Brady?
· NO HURRY UP – not even at the end of the first half when it was hurry up time
· Again they tried the play-action, fake end around – and again nothing
· Thank God for Malcom Mitchell
· Gutsy call going for it on 4th and 4 – and not giving Gostkowski a chance
· Do I get any points for calling the left handed Hogan option pass a month ago?
· Nice downfield blocking by Mitchell and Hogan on the Blount 18 yard run
· Every time Lewis touches the ball it looks like he is just ready to be knocked out for the season
· 4-14 on third down – not good
· Everytime the Patriots go with a three man rush I should say an Act of Contrition for what I’m thinking
· The lack of pass rush, an average linebacker corps is not good enough to win a Super Bowl I’m sorry to say – watching McClellin is like watching a Tufts football player
· How come Matt Patricia turns every average quarterback into Sid Luckman (Fitzpatrick had a QB rating of 67.6 coming into the game and goes off for 115.2)
· Malcom Brown a little better – put pressure on Fitzpatrick forcing an intentional grounding
· Butler’s worst game as a Patriot – was getting beat all over the field
· Ninkovich is proving the value of steroids – he is a JV player right now – 1 tackle
· How does Van Noy get matched up one on one with CJ Spiller down the right sideline?
BELICHICK GARD / KRAFT SIGHTINGS
· Bill same gray hoodie from the Simpson’s Boston special
· Kraft 6:24 left in the 2nd quarter
· Gronk yet again – I would not sign him for crazy money – he has a body of a 42-year-old (same about Edelman – don’t sign for big money slowly declining)
· Bennett – that ankle is going to be a problem all year
· Richard injury I spoke of already
· Gostkowski another miss – yikes – I think it’s worse than that. His body language is not good and the ball is coming off his foot funny almost knuckling
· Saw it in the Michigan game and every football game – the marking of the football is so random – you need technology to step in
· Greg Gumbel brings nothing to the table but stating the obvious – and to think that CBS named him their number one announcer over Sean McDonough fifteen years ago
· The league is imparting parity upon the Patriots – Take away two first round picks, suspend the best player in the league, no fine on defenders taking shots at the best player in the league’s knee which could change the course of the season, and the refusal to call interference on players defending against Gronk
2. Around the NFL
· Article about Matt Forte deciding on the Jets over the Patriots in the offseason – that wasn’t the best career decision
· I feel this about changing pitchers and people – if you think should make a change – then make the change – Cincy embarrasses itself last year in the playoffs and they come back with Marvin Lewis and they are 3-7-1
· Drew Brees 458 TD to 213 INT / Brady 446 to 151 INT
· Carson Palmer 4-6-1 since talking bad about Brady
· Jamie Collins 0-3 now
· Its approaching December when Chandler Jones goes into hibernation (or to the police station)– 1 tackle – that is not Von Miller- like
· Ravens run a play in which they commit a penalty on purpose so that they play is re-run and the clock runs again – doesn’t seem like the integrity of the game – ie – tackle eligible
· I think domes should be outlawed – boring inside game that is sterile
· Tony Romo salary cap dollar figure $14,000,000 / Dak Prescott salary $450,000
3. Bruins / Celtics
· Celtics 2-4 against teams with an above .500 record / 7-3 versus losing teams
· Bruins 5-9 against teams with an above .500 record / 7-1 versus losing teams
4. Around College Football
* I was 1-2 ugh
* I agree with Harbaugh – biggest game of the year and the home team gets penalized SIX yards to opponents 59 yards including three questionable interference calls and an insane bench penalty 50 yards away from the play never mind having the benefit of the spots all day
* I wonder what the break down on subjective interference calls are on home team versus the away teams
* The eight-team playoff would make lots of millions – first round: Alabama vs. Penn State / Ohio State vs. Oklahoma / Clemson vs. Wisconsin / Michigan vs. Washington
* With so many fans storming the fields now – there must be at least one fan breaking an ankle a game jumping over the walls
* With the coaching changes in college football – seniors should be allowed to transfer to another team – not the team that the coach went to though
* I don’t get it – Boston College is excited about their season and becoming bowl eligible? They only played four teams in the top 60 (according to RPI) which they were 0-4 against while being outscored 202-21! Remember when the media in this town mattered? Addazio said after the game: “top of our university, unwavering faith”
5. In 2018 the Red Sox have already committed $108mm to five players – Price, Sandoval, Hanley, Pedroia and Porcello.
6. I wish USA Soccer was paying attention to my blog back in June (6/24/16) when I showed that Klinsmann wasn’t improving the team and that their best coach over the last twenty years has been Arena – it’s just that he doesn’t look the part – more of a John Lovitz wanna be.
* FIFA Ranking over the six years since Klinsmann took over in 2011 – 34 / 2012 – 28 / 2013- 28 / 2014 – 13 / 2015 – 27 / 2016 – 31st
* Average FIFA Rankings for the USA’s last four coaches – Arena (98-06) – 17th / Sampson (95-98) – 22nd / Bradley (06-11) – 23rd / Klinsmann (11-16) – 28th
7 Old School – Prior to Carlton Fisk home run in Game 6 of 1975 World Series – he had four over his previous 156 at bats – or one every 39 at bats
8 Amazing Stat – Cam Neely scored 50 goals in 44 games in 1993-1994 but on one leg. After scoring his 50th he only played six more games and missed the playoffs – Niedermeyer dead, Wormer dead, Ulf – dead!
9 Just a Little Bit Outside – Local Sports anchor salaries in 1986 – (Globe)
* What’s wrong with our society? With 21 more shot in Chicago Saturday – TV is advertising – in the middle of the day mind you – a video game from Playstation called WatchDogs 2 which shows street thugs with machine guns shooting people in the middle of a city further romanticizing the greatest plague ever to hit the United States – insane
* After Cam Newton refused to pick up the fumble in the Super Bowl shouldn’t the DAB go away
* The owner of Corona just went back to his village in Spain – Cerezales del Coronado and made every citizen a millionaire
* Castro must have been a big Brady Bunch fan
* Boston College is selling sports tickets for 50% off on Monday – hate to be that season ticket holder that paid full price and has been loyal despite the bad product
* Sports Illustrated – two recent NBA articles – Are the Bulls Better Off Without Rondo? AND Buyer’s Remorse – top five bad signings – first two are Evan Turner and Rajon Rondo
* Hats off to U Mass Boston and Charlie Titus for not allowing two of their stars play in the NCAA playoffs after their disgraceful red cards two weeks ago
* You can’t have Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph on before December 1st
With his more focus on present, Coach Todd Bowles did not mention to announce Monday night that the besieged Ryan Fitzpatrick would always remain the New York Jets’ team beginning quarterback. This is mainly after the team sat for over years during the seven days when they were not playing. This was a risky decision given the brilliance of the team rivals. You can make the Super Bowl odds especially when trying to find out on how the outcome will turn.
“He is healthy, he is been our starter,” said Bowles of Fitzpatrick when he was asked by the media. “I do not see anything wrong that I could have change with the situation right now.” This would definitely makes it one of the easier decisions that the Coach will make when dealing with the existing situations.
The fan base of Jets has been clamoring for very Petty from the start. Fitzpatrick, who is a free agent right after the season, was also a lame duck. However, Bowles is not ready to easily give up on this season when evaluating players for the 2017. This would be something that the team will be looking for especially when dealing with the situations.
“I do not think anything of the argument will ever exists, ” he said when referring to the people who want to know about the future of the player. He continued to say that the player was doing good to improve in form especially when trying to perform better through these years.
Fitzpatrick, who did sign a-year worth $12 million contract this year in July has been having a terrible year especially on his performance. According to his stats, he only has eight touchdown passes with 13 interceptions, which is all tied for the same league lead. This are pretty low stats given that he would be enjoying massive benefits for the club at the end of the season.
Petty blew an opportunity to wrest the job from the Fitzpatrick, after falling to Los Angeles Rams the 9-6 in the first start in NFL. This means that he could improve on his game when looking forward to improve the ratings before the end of the season when playing. He had a late interception, which killed Jets’ from a comeback bid.
Bowles has said that he always plan to easily go back to the Fitzpatrick. This would be an amazing performance given he has been having a terrible performance during the season. “Obviously, you can throw about 10 touchdowns, you need to have to take a close look at it,” he said of the Petty’s chances. “In addition, barring anything outstanding, the Fitz would have been a starter.”
Just last week, the general manager by the same Mike Maccagnan referred to it as a “complicated” decision by saying it is a delicate balance in between trying to have the first win now by evaluating for their future. He also consulted with Bowles, however, the coach had that final say. This is going to be a pretty challenge especially when dealing with the teams that will take part during the championship.