Sox-A’s: Starting Lineups
LIVE In-game coverage below…
|1. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
2. Kevin Youkilis, 1B
3. David Ortiz, DH
4. Manny Ramirez, LF
5. Mike Lowell, 3B
6. Brandon Moss, RF
7. Jason Varitek, C
8. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
9. Julio Lugo, SS
|1. Travis Buck, RF
2. Mark Ellis, 2B
3. Daric Barton, 1B
4. Jack Cust, DH
5. Emil Brown, LF
6. Bobby Crosby, SS
7. Jack Hannahan, 3B
8. Kurt Suzuki, C
9. Ryan Sweeney, LF
|SP – Daisuke Matsuzaka
||SP – Joe Blanton
Pre-game: Some interesting things. There were random dancers all over the place. They also announced both starting lineups. It appears the Sox have the best fan presence as the crowd chanted Youuuuuuk for Kevin Youkilis. Dice-K obviously got the biggest ovation.
Top of 1st inning:
- Dustin Pedroia with a lead-off single on the second pitch. Blanton’s first pitch, the first pitch thrown in 2008, was a strike. Inning over, Pedroia stranded on 2nd base. Here comes Dice-K…
- Apparently, J.D. Drew is out with some random back pain, so Brandon Moss started in RF.
Bottom of 1st inning
- Dice-K – First-pitch ground out by Travis Buck
- OUCH! – Mark Ellis hits HR off Dice-K. 1-0 A’s.
- Remy said it was a fastball that was supposed to be away, but went over the plate…
- Dice-K looks awful. He just hit Jack Cust with a wild fastball at his foot. 2 men on, 1 out.
- Wild pitch, both men advance. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out…
- Dice-K just loaded the bases with his second walk. Crosby up…
- Slow roller to the pitcher, Dice-K bare-hands it, and throws it to 1st. 2 out, but run scores. 2-0 A’s.
- Sox get out of the inning with a Dice-K strikeout. 2-0 A’s.
Top 2nd inning
- Mike Lowell single. Blanton induces inning-ending double-play. Inning over, 2-0 A’s.
Bottom 2nd inning
- Kurt Suzuki gets a single up the middle to lead off the inning.
- Dice-K has looked better, but just as I wrote that he loaded the bases. Jack Cust stands in…
- Dice-K struck him out looking with a fastball on the inside corner and defiantly walked off the mound. Still 2-0 A’s.
Top 3rd inning
- Julio Lugo lines a fastball up the middle for a single with one out.
- Youkilis barely reaches on infield single- Hannahan made a hell of a play to make it close. Ortiz now up with 2 on, 2 out…
- Ortiz lined it into the shift to the right, Ortiz out, score still 2-0 A’s.
Bottom 3rd inning
- Dice-K has definitely settled in, getting 2 quick outs. I bet he was nervous. It only makes sense.
- Dice-K walks his 5th batter, Jerry Remy notes that he’ll probably be pulled early.
- Suzuki gets a sharp line drive thats snared by Julio Lugo. Inning over…
- Julian Tavarez was warming up last inning, but Kyle Snyder is now warming up in the bullpen. Dice-K has settled down a little more, but his pitch count is quite high.
- Dice-K has really settled down now. He dominated Travis Buck and made him look silly on a strikeout.
- Sox bats are still quiet. 1-2-3 inning for Blanton, and the A’s are still up 2-0.
- Dice-K is starting to dominate in the bottom half of the inning. He recorded back-to-back K’s for 6 K’s total.
- Dice-K could leave the game after the inning. He finished it with 95 pitches thru 5 IP.
Top 6th inning
- Pedroia hit a loooooong fly ball to RF. Buck mishandled it and it bounced off the wall for a double. Youk walked, 2 on for Ortiz. Manny got a 2-run single to tie it up. Brandon Moss adds an RBI single to give the Sox the lead.
- Sox take the lead 3-2 to give Dice-K a chance to get the win.
Bottom 6th inning
- Dice-K will now get a no-decision as Kyle Snyder blew the lead in the 6th inning. He allowed a single and a HR to Hannahan. the HR was a DEEP drive to right…A’s lead 4-3.
Top 7th inning
- Blanton was out last inning, now off the hook for the loss.
- Old friend Alan Embree is in for the A’s now.
- Ellsbury with a nice opposite field single to LF.
Bottom 7th inning
- Snyder still in, Javier Lopez warming up.
- Keith Foulke warming up for the A’s! Welcome back….
- Snyder pulled for Lopez to bring the lefty in.
- Lopez ends the inning with a strikeout to end the 7th. On to the 8th with the A’s leading 4-3.
Top 8th inning
- Keith Foulke’s first pitch in the majors since 2006 was a strike to Youk.
- Youk with a deep fly ball, 1 out.
- Corey and Delcarmen are warming in the bullpen…
- Ortiz is 0-3…he’s due.
- He lined out to left, now 0-4. Maybe Manny can do something…
- Foulke struck him out. wow…
Bottom 8th inning
- Bryan Corey in for the 8th, no Papelbon in sight.
- Jacoby Ellsbury made a highlight-reel catch in CF to rob Emil Brown. Coco who?
- Corey with a 1-2-3 8th inning. He looked really good, and made a nice snare to end the inning…on to the 9th with Sox down 4-3.
Top 9th inning
- Closer Huston Street is in for the A’s
- Lowell with a shallow fly to center, 1 out.
- HOME RUN, TIE GAME. Thanks to who? Brandon Moss. blown save for Street.
Bottom 9th inning
- Japanese native Okajima now in. Flashbulbs going off everywhere!
- Sox pitching have retired 10 hitters in a row since the Hannahan HR..
- Just as I said that, Okie issued a walk…
- Okie gets out of the inning..we’re headed for extras.
Top 10th inning
- Street still pitching, Lugo gets on with infield single.
- Pedroia bunts Lugo into scoring position. 1 out..
- Youkilis strikes out in a big spot. 2 outs, Ortiz up.
- They intentionally walk Papi to face Manny…
- MANNY did it! 2-run double to score Lugo and Ortiz. 6-4 Red Sox!!!
- Inning not over…Lowell up.
- New pitcher: former Sox hurler Lenny DiNardo.
- Sox head to the Bottom of the 10th with a chance to win.
Bottom 10th inning
- Papelbon in. Okajima now has the chance for the victory in his native Japan…
- What?? Papelbon just walked the lead-off man..
- Strikeout for Cust, 1 out.
- Brown hits a double in the gap, Barton scores. He goes for third and the Sox catch him and tag him out. Remy calls it “brutal baserunning.”
- 2 outs, bases empty, 6-5 Red Sox.
- Papelbon allows 2 more singles. Game would’ve been tied, but just 2 on, 2 out.
- Groundout, game over. Save for Papelbon.
Post-game thoughts: Manny was the hero with 2 2-run doubles for 4 RBIs. Papelbon closed the door for Hideki Okajima, who got the win in his native Japan.
Good thing Moss got into the game. He had a run-scoring single and a solo HR to tie the game in the ninth inning. Would J.D. Drew have done that?
Dice-K looked terrible at first, but he was just shaky. He settled down nicely. I wish he could’ve gone 6 innings because the Red Sox would probably have won without extra innings. Snyder wouldn’t have been in and Hannahan wouldn’t have hit that HR.
Ellsbury had an amazing catch in the 8th which helped me forget who Coco Crisp is.
Extra innings on Opening Day must be tough. We’ll see how it affects both teams for tomorrow.
Tags: Daisuke Matsuzaka, Japan, Oakland Athletics