(AP Photo/Gail Burton) Will The Sox Win The AL East? Connelly’s Top Ten: Brady Being Poked, Pink Hats Strike Again, Stand Up! UNITED STATES - SEPTEMBER 29:  From the book New York Exposed. Willie Mays' famous eighth inning catch going away from home plate in the first game of the 1954 World SEries between the New York Giants and the Cleveland Indians.  (Photo by Frank Hurley/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images) Connelly’s Top Ten: Sox Managers Worse Than Farrell, Loaded 1966 All-Star Team, Brady-Belichick’s ‘Feud’ 2564856329_a79fdbbc29_z NBA Preview: 2016-2017 Boston Celtics

Jerry Remy Health Update

UPDATE (08/12/09): Jerry Remy returns to Fenway Park for the first time since May, and could return to the booth soon.

UPDATE (08/05/09): According to his son, Jerry is now cancer-free and feeling better! There’s no timetable for his return, though…

It’s been a while since we’ve heard anything about the status of Jerry Remy, but it appears he is very much alive and well as he continues to recover from the effects of lung cancer surgery. He posts updates nearly every day on his Twitter account (Follow Sports of Boston on Twitter!), and on Monday he posted an audio message for his fans.

Listen Here: Jerry Remy’s audio tweet

“Hi, this is Jerry. I just want to thank everybody for the overwhelming support I’ve got from you over the last couple of weeks. I’ve got a much larger family than I ever anticipated. Hope to be in the booth very soon.”

Personally, I think he sounds great, and I can’t wait until he returns to the booth with Don Orsillo. Dennis Eckersley, Dave Roberts, and others are OK, but no one has shown they can replace the Rem Dawg.

Tags: , ,

97 comments for “Jerry Remy Health Update”

1. Hey Jerry Remy we miss you in the broadcast booth. Up you’re on the road to recovery and will be back soon. You and Don are the best baseball announcers around.

Posted by Barb McGregor | July 12, 2009, 6:46 pm
  2. God sure do miss you Jerry, looking forward to your return, just not the same our prayers go out to you and your family.

Posted by bill keats | July 13, 2009, 7:09 am
  3. Hey Jerry,

I sincerely hope you are doing well with your recovery. You are truely missed…the banter between you and “The Don”.

Here’s something to ponder: It appears as of late, Papelbon has become a nailbiting closer. I have to say…he’s reminding me of Derek Lowe, when he was the Red Sox closer. How many “loud outs” (fly balls caught on the warning track) were there when Lowe was closing.

I also have 2 new rule suggestions:
    1)Pitcher does NOT earn a save if the ball is hit out of the infield.
    2)Keep intentional walks legal…but give the batter 2nd base..any runners on base during intentional walk move up as necessary to accomodate the intentionally walked batter sent to 2nd base…1 base or 2 if necessary. They are such a waste of time.

GET BETTER!

~Paul

Posted by Paul | July 16, 2009, 2:49 pm
  4. Get well soon my friend. You are missed.

Posted by Glenn Grant | July 16, 2009, 10:28 pm
  5. Remdawg
    I travel a lot and know no one compares to the chemistry you and Don have! Take your time, take care of yourself and come back when you are ready. Eck is good but the night I heard him swear I thought it would be the end of him. LOL we need you back but only if you are ready

Posted by k | July 17, 2009, 8:32 pm
  6. get well real soon remdawg!we miss you here in triangle red sox nation.(Raleigh,NC)it just isn’t the same broadcast without your wit.

Posted by bruce | July 19, 2009, 3:28 am
  7. Just discovered the latest update, but it was over 6 weeks ago. It would be great to get some more recent news, and I hope it’s all good! No fun listening to Don without the Remdawg.

Posted by Laurie T. | July 21, 2009, 8:57 pm
  8. Hey Remdawg, Glad to hear your feeling better.Your fill ins dont do a bad job but its not the same without you. Hope to see you back in the booth soon. God Bless You!!

Posted by Steve Merrill | July 21, 2009, 9:01 pm
  9. We hope you’re on the upswing and back in the booth soon. We miss you! Feel better.

The Wait Family

Posted by The Wait Family | July 21, 2009, 9:24 pm
  10. Jerry – I hope and pray you will get well soon. Don Orsillo, Dennis Eckersley, Dave Roberts and others are doing great, but there is only one Rem Dawg. Hope to hear your voice as soon as you are able to broadcast. We’re all waiting for you to get back into that Boston broadcast booth!

Posted by Bob Ramette | July 21, 2009, 10:06 pm
  11. Jerry,
    My thoughts & prayers continue to be with you and your family. We all miss you and hope you’ll feel well enough to return soon!

Posted by Diane | July 23, 2009, 11:20 pm
  12. praying for your recovery, and hope it will be soon. not the same without you. we live in florida and pay to watch you. i agree, too much cheese talk!!
    why do they never talk about you and update us on your health?
    john and betty bartman

Posted by betty bartman | July 24, 2009, 10:35 am
  13. Jerry – my wife Lisa used to dispatch for B.L.’s aircraft (Corporate Warrior). We think of you during every Red Sox game and hope for your healthy and quick return.

Posted by Jim Balch | July 24, 2009, 8:26 pm
  14. Hi Jerry, Just want to say we miss you soooo much as I am sure Don does! It’s not the same without you, you & don are the “red sox” I keep your bobblehead statue on my table with wally for every game. At least we get to see you guys together! Hope all is well with you and you will be back 100% and feeling great real soon! Think of you always…Love to you & your family 🙂

Posted by Sheila LeBlanc | July 24, 2009, 8:33 pm
  15. Hi Jerry, I hope this finds you feeling better. We really miss you in the booth with Don. I keep the bobble head of you and don on the table with wally in the chair in front of the game, so we can still see you routing the game on! Hope you are back soon and feeling 100% Take care and get yourself well. Hope to see you soon ( I’m sure Don does also) Love to you and your family, your all in our thoughts daily 🙂

Posted by Sheila LeBlanc | July 24, 2009, 8:41 pm
  16. Remdawg,
    Thinking of you today as Jim Rice enters the hall.
    Thinking of you every day as the
    Red Sox win.
    Thinking of you every day as the Red Sox loose.
    Although the replacements are quite capable, it is not the same for your fans.
    We miss you.

get well and Hurry Back.

Posted by Bill & Jan | July 26, 2009, 8:54 am
  17. Every night when I turn on NESN for the sox game my heart lifts at the chance you might be back–get well soon, remdawg! Red sox nation misses you!

Posted by Jason in DC | July 27, 2009, 7:06 pm
  18. As an oriole fan living in Connecticut I still miss you on all Red Sox broadcasts. If I’m not watching the O’s I usually tune in to the Sox just to hear the Rem-dog and Don Orsillo.

Posted by Leo Mangini | July 29, 2009, 10:42 am
  19. Cant wait for you to come back. Love the way you tell it like it is. Miss that. I hope it is real soon

Posted by Charlene | July 29, 2009, 6:50 pm
  20. It is crystal clear that none of the people who have subbed for you can match your great skills and charm! PLEASE come back soon!

Posted by David | July 31, 2009, 1:49 pm
  21. Yo Jerry!
    We miss you dearly my man.. Just not the same with out you. Get well and get back in the booth. My wife and I wach every game via NESN here in Gulfport MIssissippi.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and hope to see you soon.

Best Wishes
    Stan and Wanda Stark

Posted by Stan and Wanda Stark | July 31, 2009, 11:32 pm
  22. jerry, wish they would update news of you, we are so ready for you to come back, hope it is soon. we do not alwys get nesn on the pay mbl, and so happy when we do, in hopes you will be there. no one, can take your place. please take care and hurry back soon.

Posted by betty bartman | August 2, 2009, 1:58 pm
  23. Rem Dawg: please get well and please hurry back. Eck is a good sub; but he’s sure not you. Take care and God Bless. And Dave is just too dull.

Posted by m. anair | August 2, 2009, 8:51 pm
  24. Jerry,

It’s August, but it hasn’t been summer without you in the booth. Until I hear, “Buenos noches, amigos,” it just won’t be the same. Could you send out an update? We’re getting worried out here in The Nation.

Best wishes and prayers,

-Marc

Posted by Marc | August 4, 2009, 9:31 pm
  25. BUENOS NOCHES AMIGO!!! CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU BACK IN THE BOOTH…. BE WELL!!!

Posted by Eric | August 6, 2009, 11:38 pm
  26. Hi Jerry – I was hopin that you would be back after the all star break. Eckersley and Roberts etc. are very knowledgeable but they aren’t you! Nobody else has the rapport with Don that you have. Hope all is going well and that you are feeling better each day. We all need you back in the booth. Connie from the Manchester, NH branch of Red Sox Nation.

Posted by Connie Logue | August 7, 2009, 2:39 pm
  27. Jerry,

Wishing you good health! The broadcasts aren’t as enjoyable without you. In fact, I find myself dozing for an inning or two. Come back to the booth healthy (& Save D.O.)! Oh – & bring Wally with you!

Posted by Frank S | August 7, 2009, 9:19 pm
  28. My wife and I miss Remy so much. This is good news, and I’m eagerly anticipating his return to the booth. It’s been a weird season without the RemDawg!

Posted by Russ | August 8, 2009, 9:39 pm
  29. I AM SO HAPPY THAT I FOUND SOMEPLACE TO SEND U A MESSAGE TO YOU AND WISH YOU CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH AND MY VERY BEST WISHES FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

I AM A 70 YR, ARDENT FAN OF THE SOX, BUT NO MATTER HOW BAD A GAME THEY ARE HAVING, YOUR BANTER AND YOUR LAUGH SEEM TO MAKE IT ALL BETTER FOR ME.MY HUSBAND WAS DRAFTED RIGHT FROM H.S. AND THE KOREAN WARD TOOK OVER, AND HE WAS GONE FOR 3 YRS. TRYING TO GET BACK IN WAS NOT TO BE,…IT HAD BEEN TOO LONG. WHEN I MET HIM, I HAD TO MEET BASEBALL. LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT I WOULD BECOME SUCH AN ADDICT, AND U HAVE HELPED TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE “WHOLE PACKAGE.” REMDOG I PRAY FOR YOUR TOTAL HEALING, I HAVE FAITH TO DO THAT, AND SEE YOU HEALED AND BACK IN THE BOOTH AGAIN. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND UR FAMILY IN EVERY WAY.

Posted by REV. DEE WENNING | August 9, 2009, 3:08 pm
  30. Hey Jerry,

Speedy recovery.

Glad I finally found out how you are doing. I know it is a private thing you are going through and I appreciate your sharing this with us all. I would like to tell you that I could always count on you to bring a smile and laugh to my day. I hope that my thoughts and prayers can give back to you what you have given to me. It really means a lot. Redsox Nation misses you!!!

Thank you.

Posted by Karen D | August 10, 2009, 9:17 pm
  31. I think Eckersley’s excellent but you can come back Jerry I guess if you want.

Posted by shinosa | August 10, 2009, 9:26 pm
  32. Oh, I’m so happy to hear the good news. You are on my mind always and to know that you are doing well is a big relief! Please come back as soon as you feel strong enough. We MISS you. Nobody does it better!

Posted by Deb B. | August 11, 2009, 1:58 pm
  33. You are simply the best. Be well!

Posted by Sue from Maine | August 11, 2009, 2:01 pm
  34. Our galaxy is missing it’s star. Jerry, get well and get back.

Posted by Rob | August 12, 2009, 5:19 pm
  35. Cant wait for your return as you are sorely missed.

Posted by Susan | August 14, 2009, 3:38 pm
  36. Hey, Jerry…
    Just a message of encouragement and to say how great it was to see you in the booth on your recent visit to Fenway. You are MISSED!! I, too, have suffered from depression and anxiety disorder, and I completely get how hard you’re working to ease yourself back into the old routine. It’s great to know that you want it! Red Sox nation will be patient because we love you. Take care of yourself, at your own pace and we look forward to your healthy return!!!

Posted by Lynne from Somerset, MA | August 16, 2009, 1:20 pm
  37. Things haven’t been the same without you! Hope you are feeling much better! Don needs you back and so does the Nation! :-))

Posted by Paul from Springfield, MA | August 18, 2009, 9:54 pm
  38. remdawg, words can not say, how happy we all are that you are back. you look good and sound stong.

john and betty bartman

Posted by betty bartman | August 29, 2009, 12:52 pm
  39. good to see u on the tv new today. love seeing your smiling face. You give me reason to watch the red. sox.
    love, pat

Posted by pat ensom | February 23, 2010, 5:51 pm
  40. We need a new update on Remy, is he OK>?

Posted by Lillian M Jacobs | June 7, 2010, 1:22 pm
  41. Hi Lillian,

He is indeed OK. He has returned this season full-time to cover the Red Sox for NESN.

Posted by KC Downey | June 8, 2010, 12:57 am
  42. Hi Jerry; You probably will not see this. I now live in California for five years. I moved from Conn. and bought the basball sport package to watch the Red Sox’s. Dennis Eckersley (sp) is doing a good job but I miss you. I think you do a relatively unbiased (as you can be)job of the game. Good luck with the treatments. Looking forward to seeing back on T.V. Regards Richard Schuman

Posted by richard schuman | May 6, 2011, 10:33 pm
  43. Remdog my man. Plewase get well soon. I don’t think Don can last much longer without you carrying him. Seriously Remdog you are missed by every sox fan. Your in our prayers Jerry. Sox Nation is not the same without you.

Sincerely
    Ken

Posted by Ken Morang | May 9, 2011, 7:08 pm
  44. Hey Jerry, hope you are on the mend.I’m a faithful Red Sox fan,watch every game & it is not the same without you.When you and Don get going I start to laugh along with you two and I end up cracking up.Hope to see you soon!GET WELL! Kevin

Posted by Kevin Bayer | May 10, 2011, 7:54 pm
  45. Jerry – you are missed – the Sox are not much fun to watch lately and without you (despite liking Eck) the games are a dud. Hope to see you back on the air all healthy, wealthy and wise soon Dee Robinson Chester, Vermont

Posted by Dee and Don Robinson | May 12, 2011, 8:52 pm
  46. Jerry, As colorful as Eck is and I do enjoy his visits, there is no one like you and Don doing the game.
    You are the voice of the game and I’m so glad that you are feeling better and coming back soon.
    You were missed.

Posted by Prudy Howes | May 13, 2011, 6:30 pm
  47. hurry up and get better the guys that have been anounceing with don have done a good job but u and don doing the games together you guy belong together so hurry up and get well i definitly miss u dave white long time sox fan

Posted by david white | May 13, 2011, 7:05 pm