Pastrnak after scoring game-winner vs Panthers (host.madison.com) Bruins Quick Hits Two of the key cogs in this years Bruins teams: Tuukka Rask, and David Pastrnak. (Getty Images). A Closer Look Into the Bruins First Month of the Season. Connelly’s Top Ten: Posse! Connelly’s Top Ten: Edelman Lays Eggs (so did the coordinators)

Canseco: Current Hall-of-Famer Used Steroids

Jose Canseco thinks Major League Baseball has a bigger problem on their hands than active players like Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz being busted for steroids. He alleges that a current Baseball Hall-of-Famer used the juice.

“When you tell me something I didn’t already know, I’ll be surprised,” Canseco told ESPN. “And I’ll tell you this, Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who’s used.”

When asked who the player was, Canseco refused to ellaborate:

“It’s not about naming names,” he said. “I’ve never had anything against the players. It’s always been against Major League Baseball. I know who’s on that list, but like I said, it’s not about attacking the players. It’s about the machine that allowed this to happen. What I speak out of my mouth is the truth. It burns like fire. Just remember, I have never lied about this subject.”

Reaction: At almost every turn, Canseco has been right on during this steroids mess. Other than refusing to connect his buddy Roger Clemens to steroids, Canseco has been reliable when it comes to the PED issue. So, we must wonder…who used steroids?

It’s almost impossible to allege, but I would imagine it would be a player that joined the hall recently. Without tying anyone specific to steroids, here’s a list of players elected to the Hall since 2000:

• Rickey Henderson
  • Dave Winfield
  • Kirby Puckett
  • Carlton Fisk
  • Tony Perez

Hmmm…

Tags: , ,

26 comments for “Canseco: Current Hall-of-Famer Used Steroids”

1. My Top 3 from this list:

-Ricky Henderson
    -Jim Rice
    -Cal Ripken Jr.

Posted by Pete | July 31, 2009, 1:01 pm
  2. Jose’s already stated that it wasn’t Rickey. So that narrows it down even further. Ripken seems likely, but I wouldn’t rule out Boggs or Sandberg.

Posted by Wayne | August 4, 2009, 7:55 am
  3. I betcha its Sandberg….look at his stats..from 88-92 he hit 131 of his 282 career h.r.’s..he went from hitting 14-15 to 40….i always thought something was fishy about his power production even back then.

Posted by joe blow | August 6, 2009, 12:28 pm
  4. Another probable candidate is Eckersly. Any ballplayer who goes from ordinary to spectacular, especially late in his career, and played on that Canseco/McGuire A’s team, is strongly suspect. As for Sandberg, looks like the same story as Dykstra, light hitter with a homer explosion. Very suspicious.

Posted by FPMZ | August 8, 2009, 5:19 am
  5. Jeez. Imagine if it was Ripken. Roger Angell-George Will types would committ ritual suicide.

Posted by Jon | August 11, 2009, 9:39 am
  6. Sandberg and Boggs have been very outspoken critics of steroid users, saying they shouldn’t be eligible for the HOF.

You could argue that they’re putting up that “good guy” front so they can use it as a defense if/when it goes public that they used PEDs (similar to Curt Schilling?), but I think they’re clean.

Posted by Dave | November 25, 2009, 3:12 pm
  7. I have no evidence other than intuition.

#1 Henderson… He was an ego maniac and his physique was steroid like at the end of his career. I think if he used; it was in the later part of his career like Bonds. I think both him and bonds should be evaluated pre-steroids and they deserve to be in… I m not worried about integrity because the hall of fame has plenty of assholes in it…

#2 Puckett…His abuse of women is a red flag but Pucket looked fat… I don’t know…Maybe…

#3 outside chances that Eckersley and Ripken used… Ripken might have fallen into the trap of using it for recovery purposes…Recovering from injuries… Eckersely, i don’t think so but who knows anymore…

Posted by James Fisher | January 16, 2010, 4:57 am
  8. Paul Molitor — a 10-homer .280 guy in his prime, somehow became a 30-homer .330 guy after age 35. And finished with over 3,300 hits, more than Willie Mays and 9th place all time!

Sandberg too no doubt. And Ripken. And a bunch of others.

Posted by lou | September 13, 2012, 9:51 pm
  9. It’s Molitor. He was hitting 200+ hits into his 40’s.

Posted by Joe Schwartz | September 14, 2012, 6:54 pm
  10. My vote is Cal Ripken. His head had that “growth” thing going. Baseball couldn’t afford to have a fallen hero like him. But how would Canseco know this? Rickey whupped A#! his whole career. A lot of people don’t realize that you DO get stronger with age but lose a bit in reflexes. Eckersley is all about the change to a closer. Sandberg? Could be but again what is the link to Canseco?

Posted by Justin Martell | July 20, 2013, 9:38 pm
  11. Puckett did like to lift. I remember reading an article on him waaay back. He said he “loved” it. Lifting a lot puts you in the connect with people who have/do steroids. Puckett or Ripken or BOTH is my bet.

Posted by Justin Martell | July 20, 2013, 9:40 pm
  12. Paul Molitor — a 10-homer .280 guy in his prime, somehow became a 30-homer .330 guy after age 35. And finished with over 3,300 hits, more than Willie Mays and 9th place all time!
    Sandberg too no doubt. And Ripken. And a bunch of others.

Molitor? He NEVER hit 30 home runs. Twenty-two was the top @ the age of 36 for Toronto in 1993. He did bat .341 in 161 games at age 39 for Minnesota. Even at DH, 161 games is impressive for a 39 year old.

Posted by Lewis Kincade | July 29, 2013, 6:36 pm
  13. if Bud Selig wants to clean the baseball,he has to check the inclusion of Carl Ripken jr and others into the Hall of Fame ,because,im sure that some of them are not clean!!!

Posted by angel mejia | August 11, 2013, 2:02 am
  14. Lewis – You say Molitor became a 30-homer guy at age 35. The most home runs he hit in a season from age 35 until his retirement at the age of 41 was 22 (at the age of 36, playing in a park that favors batters and in a good lineup that helped him get more plate appearances than anyone else in the league that season). His average number of home runs per season during that span was 12. His OPS+ during that time was 119, thanks in large part to his 34 doubles and 5 triples per season average.

Posted by Dan | September 4, 2013, 9:25 am
  15. I’d say probably more than one — ‘one’ that Canseco knows for sure.

Three jump out to me: Paul Molitor, who in his twenties was a 5-10 homer .280 guy but from age 34 went up several notches, regularly hitting .340 with more power; I remember it being hard to believe at the time. He was one of the first guys where I thought, 34 isn’t 34 anymore.

And then Tony Gwynn jumps out — late in his career when he all of a sudden had a homerun bat.

And Kirby Puckett — I remember how he first came up as a singles hitter then all of a sudden was hitting homeruns.

Posted by Bob Lyle | September 9, 2013, 3:14 pm
  16. I would think it’s Molitor, even though I believe there’s more in that list. He just got way to damn good as he got older, I’d be money, it’s Molitor. And even though I never appreciated/liked Canseco! I appreciate him being honest and coming out about the roids. Baseball stats more that any other sport are sacred stats as far as I’m concerned! Wayne Arthur

Posted by Wayne Arthur | July 6, 2015, 4:22 pm
  17. It’s sandberg a middle in fielder goes from 15 homers to 40 at age 32 I just don’t see it every other 2b slows down at that age and he has a power surge

Posted by Cbris | September 9, 2015, 12:34 pm
  18. The list of people who had great seasons and who never got caught is double multiple dozens! You can’t tell me Biggio wasn’t on the stuff, I mean he played everyday with Bagwell (another one who never got caught) How the hell does their conscience let them do it? In that I mean, sure you wanna make more money, I get that! But once you retire, come clean! So basically I’m till pissed as hell at these phony punks, Wayne Arthur!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | September 10, 2015, 1:43 pm
  19. Mike Schmidt T00K them my doubled homwr total from 18 +¤ 36 in 73-74 akso increased his stoken bases by l5 yup roids hit 3 3O homer seasonns age 35 or older no one has said him yet

Bert Blyleven

Willie stergal

Posted by Bob | January 11, 2016, 8:56 pm
  20. Dude! Athletes weren’t messing with Roids until the late 80’s! And only a few hard heads, like Canseco at that! Maybe Mark McGwire was the second player courtesy of Canseco to try the stuff in baseball!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | January 14, 2016, 8:14 pm
  21. Disgraceful that Piazza is getting into the HOF! This guy for sure was juicing his whole damn phony career! I’ll give Jr. a little benefit of the doubt for most of his career, but I believe he too for a couple years did a little juicing! The amount of these guys juicing are off the charts!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | July 21, 2016, 12:46 pm
  22. I note, Mark Teixiera has announced his retirement today, 8-5-2016 and for the record “I’m glad we’re getting rid of one more outrageous cheater in baseball!” This guy oozed steroids from his pores! And I might add, looking at the Yankee Website on ESPN, they have the nerve to call him one of the Yankees all time great first baseman who ever wore pinstripes! What a disgusting joke!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | August 5, 2016, 3:51 pm
  23. Also would like to state that I could be wrong and that some baseball players, the sneaky ones may have been doing ‘roids in the early 80s as opposed to the late 80s! Hate to say it, as he was one of my heroes, but Mattingly MAYBE could have dabbled! Of course I have zero proof, but just sayin’.

Posted by Wayne Arthur | August 5, 2016, 3:56 pm
  24. “Roidriquez,” is finally retiring after cheating his way through baseball throughout his career! This guy with his half-hearted admissions was doing the ‘roids all the way up to the time he got caught a few years ago! His turtle tears are so disgusting! Good riddance to both he and Teixiera, they are two disgraceful ballplayers! I really don’t know who’s more despicable! Flip a coin!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | August 7, 2016, 2:40 pm
  25. Let me put it this way! If doing steroids was a capital offence all of these guys would be going to the chair! Did I mention Ripkin? Yes, he’s one of them. But he was smart, smart cheater that is, he didn’t get carried away with the stuff! Yes, I am unbelievably upset that these guys tainted the likes of Mays, Gehrig, Mantle, Aaron, Ruth, Williams etc.!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | August 7, 2016, 2:43 pm
  26. You would think ‘roided user who denies it, Albert Pujols would just get the hell out and retire, and quit embarrassing himself! But I guess he’s greedy! I mean he made fools out of the Angels management by acquiring him. And he is not one bit ashamed of his career with the Angels! Or at least be a stud like Ted Williams and “request” a decrease in pay! I know Albert, you never got caught, and you even threatned Jack Clark for telling what everybody else in the big leagues knew, you were a user! Damn you were only 30 years old when you went downhill, ! Gee, when was that, I think it was 2010 just when baseball did their biggest crackdown on you cheaters! Of course that was just a coincidence!

Posted by Wayne Arthur | August 16, 2016, 1:07 am