|Inconsistency Will Continue For Bruins Unless A Change Is Made||Five Bruins Prospects in 2017 World Junior Championship||Bruins Quick Hits||A Closer Look Into the Bruins First Month of the Season.|
A Massachusetts judge on Wednesday delayed a probable cause hearing for former Patriot tight end Aaron Hernandez. Hernandez, who is being held without bail on a first degree murder charge to which he plead not guilty, appeared in court wearing a suit to face a judge for what was supposed to be a probable cause hearing. However, prosecutors said they are still presenting evidence to a grand jury who is still reviewing all the facts. The date has been rescheduled for August 22 and Hernandez will remain in custody until then.
According to the Associated Press, prosecutors asked for and received a continuance to strengthen their case despite objection from Hernandez’s attorney, James Sultan. Sultan argued his client had already spent the past month in jail and that the district attorney could have waited to bring charges, but chose to go ahead last month.
“He made it sound like a slam dunk case,” Sultan said in regards to the prosecution’s motion for an extension.
Bristol County Assistant District Attorney William McCauley said additional evidence includes boxes of ammunition found at a condominium Hernandez leased and a magazine clip for a .45-caliber Glock in a Hummer registered to him. Police say Lloyd was killed with a .45-caliber gun. McCauley said the box had Hernandez’s fingerprints on it.
Prosecutors have painted Hernandez as the orchestrator and trigger man in the death of Odin Lloyd. The prosecution argue Lloyd had information about Hernandez’s possible connection to a double homicide and was going to say something. The other two men with Hernandez the night of the murder, Carlos Ortiz and Ernest Wallace, are also in custody on gun and accessory to murder charges respectively.
The charges might be adding up for Hernandez as Bristol police are also investigating a possible connection to a 2012 deadly shooting in South Boston. Authorities have said they seized an SUV registered under Hernandez’s name in the case. Officials have also told The Boston Globe that, “The case against Hernandez appears to be strengthening.” Officials in the case are not in a rush to bring charges against Hernandez since he is currently being held without bail.