1.Patriots vs. Rams
1.Patriots vs. Rams
1.Patriots vs. Jets
· Season is over, they have no offensive creativity (Except one double pass), Gronk hurt, Brady really hurt, Bennett hurt, defense one of the worst in the last fifteen years – can’t pressure QB or cover anyone – its over. Sorry!
· Gotta love them picking on Revis for the game winner
· Off to another frustrating start – Brady hit the first two plays / doesn’t get play off on time giving Jets chance to challenge their first down and it is reversed / Have to punt getting Jordan Richards hurt (you could hear him yell)
· He has a bad injury that will need surgery at some point – might need to rest him
· Ball was sailing high on him because he can’t put pressure on knee
· Brady completely Andy Reid-ed the end of the half – what a butcher job – with 1:16 left in the half he completes pass to Amendola, doesn’t use timeout – then doesn’t get off a play until 0:45 (36 seconds!), then completes pass to Hogan at 0:40 and again doesn’t use a timeout – throws a desperation pass to Mitchell at 0:06 that’s incomplete – they have to settle for field goal which they miss – and they take the timeout into the locker room
· Do not put the Brady blocking downfield on the – “How To Block” – video
· Brady with over three seconds doesn’t work again – overthrows an open Gronk and gets him hurt
· He looked grumpy like he knew they were in big trouble
· Josh McDaniel – UGHHHH! His schemes are so vanilla – how many plays drawn up allow a defender to run free to Brady?
· NO HURRY UP – not even at the end of the first half when it was hurry up time
· Again they tried the play-action, fake end around – and again nothing
· Thank God for Malcom Mitchell
· Gutsy call going for it on 4th and 4 – and not giving Gostkowski a chance
· Do I get any points for calling the left handed Hogan option pass a month ago?
· Nice downfield blocking by Mitchell and Hogan on the Blount 18 yard run
· Every time Lewis touches the ball it looks like he is just ready to be knocked out for the season
· 4-14 on third down – not good
· Everytime the Patriots go with a three man rush I should say an Act of Contrition for what I’m thinking
· The lack of pass rush, an average linebacker corps is not good enough to win a Super Bowl I’m sorry to say – watching McClellin is like watching a Tufts football player
· How come Matt Patricia turns every average quarterback into Sid Luckman (Fitzpatrick had a QB rating of 67.6 coming into the game and goes off for 115.2)
· Malcom Brown a little better – put pressure on Fitzpatrick forcing an intentional grounding
· Butler’s worst game as a Patriot – was getting beat all over the field
· Ninkovich is proving the value of steroids – he is a JV player right now – 1 tackle
· How does Van Noy get matched up one on one with CJ Spiller down the right sideline?
BELICHICK GARD / KRAFT SIGHTINGS
· Bill same gray hoodie from the Simpson’s Boston special
· Kraft 6:24 left in the 2nd quarter
· Gronk yet again – I would not sign him for crazy money – he has a body of a 42-year-old (same about Edelman – don’t sign for big money slowly declining)
· Bennett – that ankle is going to be a problem all year
· Richard injury I spoke of already
· Gostkowski another miss – yikes – I think it’s worse than that. His body language is not good and the ball is coming off his foot funny almost knuckling
· Saw it in the Michigan game and every football game – the marking of the football is so random – you need technology to step in
· Greg Gumbel brings nothing to the table but stating the obvious – and to think that CBS named him their number one announcer over Sean McDonough fifteen years ago
· The league is imparting parity upon the Patriots – Take away two first round picks, suspend the best player in the league, no fine on defenders taking shots at the best player in the league’s knee which could change the course of the season, and the refusal to call interference on players defending against Gronk
2. Around the NFL
· Article about Matt Forte deciding on the Jets over the Patriots in the offseason – that wasn’t the best career decision
· I feel this about changing pitchers and people – if you think should make a change – then make the change – Cincy embarrasses itself last year in the playoffs and they come back with Marvin Lewis and they are 3-7-1
· Drew Brees 458 TD to 213 INT / Brady 446 to 151 INT
· Carson Palmer 4-6-1 since talking bad about Brady
· Jamie Collins 0-3 now
· Its approaching December when Chandler Jones goes into hibernation (or to the police station)– 1 tackle – that is not Von Miller- like
· Ravens run a play in which they commit a penalty on purpose so that they play is re-run and the clock runs again – doesn’t seem like the integrity of the game – ie – tackle eligible
· I think domes should be outlawed – boring inside game that is sterile
· Tony Romo salary cap dollar figure $14,000,000 / Dak Prescott salary $450,000
3. Bruins / Celtics
· Celtics 2-4 against teams with an above .500 record / 7-3 versus losing teams
· Bruins 5-9 against teams with an above .500 record / 7-1 versus losing teams
4. Around College Football
* I was 1-2 ugh
* I agree with Harbaugh – biggest game of the year and the home team gets penalized SIX yards to opponents 59 yards including three questionable interference calls and an insane bench penalty 50 yards away from the play never mind having the benefit of the spots all day
* I wonder what the break down on subjective interference calls are on home team versus the away teams
* The eight-team playoff would make lots of millions – first round: Alabama vs. Penn State / Ohio State vs. Oklahoma / Clemson vs. Wisconsin / Michigan vs. Washington
* With so many fans storming the fields now – there must be at least one fan breaking an ankle a game jumping over the walls
* With the coaching changes in college football – seniors should be allowed to transfer to another team – not the team that the coach went to though
* I don’t get it – Boston College is excited about their season and becoming bowl eligible? They only played four teams in the top 60 (according to RPI) which they were 0-4 against while being outscored 202-21! Remember when the media in this town mattered? Addazio said after the game: “top of our university, unwavering faith”
5. In 2018 the Red Sox have already committed $108mm to five players – Price, Sandoval, Hanley, Pedroia and Porcello.
6. I wish USA Soccer was paying attention to my blog back in June (6/24/16) when I showed that Klinsmann wasn’t improving the team and that their best coach over the last twenty years has been Arena – it’s just that he doesn’t look the part – more of a John Lovitz wanna be.
* FIFA Ranking over the six years since Klinsmann took over in 2011 – 34 / 2012 – 28 / 2013- 28 / 2014 – 13 / 2015 – 27 / 2016 – 31st
* Average FIFA Rankings for the USA’s last four coaches – Arena (98-06) – 17th / Sampson (95-98) – 22nd / Bradley (06-11) – 23rd / Klinsmann (11-16) – 28th
7 Old School – Prior to Carlton Fisk home run in Game 6 of 1975 World Series – he had four over his previous 156 at bats – or one every 39 at bats
8 Amazing Stat – Cam Neely scored 50 goals in 44 games in 1993-1994 but on one leg. After scoring his 50th he only played six more games and missed the playoffs – Niedermeyer dead, Wormer dead, Ulf – dead!
9 Just a Little Bit Outside – Local Sports anchor salaries in 1986 – (Globe)
* What’s wrong with our society? With 21 more shot in Chicago Saturday – TV is advertising – in the middle of the day mind you – a video game from Playstation called WatchDogs 2 which shows street thugs with machine guns shooting people in the middle of a city further romanticizing the greatest plague ever to hit the United States – insane
* After Cam Newton refused to pick up the fumble in the Super Bowl shouldn’t the DAB go away
* The owner of Corona just went back to his village in Spain – Cerezales del Coronado and made every citizen a millionaire
* Castro must have been a big Brady Bunch fan
* Boston College is selling sports tickets for 50% off on Monday – hate to be that season ticket holder that paid full price and has been loyal despite the bad product
* Sports Illustrated – two recent NBA articles – Are the Bulls Better Off Without Rondo? AND Buyer’s Remorse – top five bad signings – first two are Evan Turner and Rajon Rondo
* Hats off to U Mass Boston and Charlie Titus for not allowing two of their stars play in the NCAA playoffs after their disgraceful red cards two weeks ago
* You can’t have Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph on before December 1st
With his more focus on present, Coach Todd Bowles did not mention to announce Monday night that the besieged Ryan Fitzpatrick would always remain the New York Jets’ team beginning quarterback. This is mainly after the team sat for over years during the seven days when they were not playing. This was a risky decision given the brilliance of the team rivals. You can make the Super Bowl odds especially when trying to find out on how the outcome will turn.
“He is healthy, he is been our starter,” said Bowles of Fitzpatrick when he was asked by the media. “I do not see anything wrong that I could have change with the situation right now.” This would definitely makes it one of the easier decisions that the Coach will make when dealing with the existing situations.
The fan base of Jets has been clamoring for very Petty from the start. Fitzpatrick, who is a free agent right after the season, was also a lame duck. However, Bowles is not ready to easily give up on this season when evaluating players for the 2017. This would be something that the team will be looking for especially when dealing with the situations.
“I do not think anything of the argument will ever exists, ” he said when referring to the people who want to know about the future of the player. He continued to say that the player was doing good to improve in form especially when trying to perform better through these years.
Fitzpatrick, who did sign a-year worth $12 million contract this year in July has been having a terrible year especially on his performance. According to his stats, he only has eight touchdown passes with 13 interceptions, which is all tied for the same league lead. This are pretty low stats given that he would be enjoying massive benefits for the club at the end of the season.
Petty blew an opportunity to wrest the job from the Fitzpatrick, after falling to Los Angeles Rams the 9-6 in the first start in NFL. This means that he could improve on his game when looking forward to improve the ratings before the end of the season when playing. He had a late interception, which killed Jets’ from a comeback bid.
Bowles has said that he always plan to easily go back to the Fitzpatrick. This would be an amazing performance given he has been having a terrible performance during the season. “Obviously, you can throw about 10 touchdowns, you need to have to take a close look at it,” he said of the Petty’s chances. “In addition, barring anything outstanding, the Fitz would have been a starter.”
Just last week, the general manager by the same Mike Maccagnan referred to it as a “complicated” decision by saying it is a delicate balance in between trying to have the first win now by evaluating for their future. He also consulted with Bowles, however, the coach had that final say. This is going to be a pretty challenge especially when dealing with the teams that will take part during the championship.
1.Patriots vs. Jets
· Brady still hurt from the insane cheap shot by Kam Chancellor – of course no repercussions from the league because it was on Brady
· Speaking of the league’s collective effort to get Brady – interesting that Walt Anderson’s crew was not disciplined for the Monday night fiasco weeks ago between Seattle and Buffalo – of course not he was part of the team that conspired to get Brady and words were used against Brady in the ruling and supported the NFL
· I hope Brady goes after Revis and embarrasses him – the ingrate doesn’t appreciate that Brady took him on a Super Bowl tour – see #5 below
· Brandon Marshall has be targeted 91 times only caught 43
· Darrelle Revis has ZERO interceptions and only two deflected passes
· Kicker Nick Folk is 16-17 inside 50 / has missed two extra points
· Fireman Ed was ten when the Jets last won the Super Bowl – I hope he’s in good health if wants to see another one
2. LeGarrette Blount compared to past Patriot backs:
Also the record for Patriot rushing TD’s is 14 (twice) by Curtis Martin – Blount on pace for 19
3. Runners with at least 1,000 yards with John Hannah in front of them:
· Sam Bam Cunningham – 5,453 yards / 43 TD
· Tony Collins…………….4,647 yards / 32 TD
· Don Calhoun……………3,391 yards / 23 TD
· Craig James………………2,469 yards / 11 TD
· Mosi……………………..2,415 yards / 18 TD
· Steve Grogan……………2,176 yards / 35 TD
· Andy Johnson……………2,017 yards / 13 TD
· Horace Ivory……………..1,336 yards / 14 TD
· Mack Herron……………..1,298 yards / 9 TD
· Vagas Ferguson…………..1,163 yards / 5 TD
4. College Football – no locks
* I like South Carolina getting 25 against Clemson
* I like Utah getting 10 against Colorado
* I have no feeling on the Navy over against SMU which usually means its going under 68
* Michigan – Ohio State – I hate games in Columbus with the high camera angle – Go Blue!
* Best game of the day – Washington vs. Washington State – Apple Bowl
5. Darrelle Revis playoff games over the last six years:
* 1 Year with Patriots – 3 playoff games including the Super Bowl
* 5 Years with Jets – ZERO playoff games (including this year – sorry you missed the White House)
6. Update on Brady since Deflategate at halftime of the AFC Championship game versus Colts – all the detractors were dying for him to fail with pumped up balls:
* 20-6 record that includes postseason
* 67% completion
* 77 TD to -13 INT
7 Old School – Mickey throw in the towel:
· In 1963-1964 season, Bruins Goalie Eddie Johnston was 18-40-12
8 Amazing Stat – NFL official Walt Anderson stuff:
· Since he took part in a sting to catch the Patriots at the 2015 playoffs he has officiated in games in which 26 teams have participated but not the Patriots (and Bears, Giants, Texans, Miami, Tampa)
· Since the AFC Championship game – The Colts who were co-conspirators with Anderson
o Last two years without Anderson doing their games they are 10-13
o Last two years with Anderson doing their games 3-0
9 Just a Little Bit Outside – Could it be that turkey sandwiches are better than turkey dinner?
* Providence soccer was down 4-1 in the second half to #1, undefeated Maryland in Maryland and came back and won – the third goal by Nick Sailor of Providence could be considered the greatest goal ever – you tube it
* Was Norman Dale any different than Tyronn Lue?
* The three-point shot is ruining basketball – no one even runs anymore because they would rather set up for a three pointer
* Hats off to Mike Lynch for his high school football coverage on Thanksgiving
* Can you imagine if Ulf Sammuelson stuck his knee out and had hurt Gretzky and not Neely – national day of mourning would have been called
* Money spent on the election – $6.8 billion
* Tom Brady is also the greatest bad weather quarterback of all time
Despite what the standings may show before the Thanksgiving break, this years Bruins team is on the right track. As of Nov. 23 the B’s currently hold the second Wild Card spot with 22 points and have been playing inspired hockey as of late. Let me speak for the majority of Bruins fans here when I say that I’ve been pleasantly surprised thus far since I wasn’t expecting this team to be as competitive as they are at this point.
My biggest concern entering this season, along with almost everyone who’s followed the B’s the past couple years, was their dull defensive group. On paper, they are one of the worst units in the entire NHL but so far, they’ve managed to not completely sink the teams and fans postseason aspirations. Granted they have had their moments where they look like they’re fishing for swordfish in their own end, however it hasn’t been as bad as it could be. Obviously, the white knight in this case has been the expected-unexpected emergence of Brandon Carlo.
The 19 year-old from Colorado Springs has stepped right into the top pairing alongside Zdeno Chara and has done just about everything that has been asked of him at this point. His big 6’5″ frame knows how to maneuver around the ice and his impressive poise combined with his simple, no-nonsense style of play has absolutely been a welcome addition to the Bruins backend. I will say that he certainly does look his age on the ice at times as he gets thrown around quite a bit and sometimes looks overwhelmed in the D-zone but all that comes down to inexperience and that will improve the more he plays. Basically, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say Carlo has been a huge reason this team has been as successful as they are in the early-goings of the year.
Behind Carlo and the other five defensemen on the ice stands a man that was on the verge of being run out of Boston this fall in Tuukka Rask. However, after amassing one of the best starts of his career this season recording an 11-3-0 record in 14 appearances, it would be foolish to overlook the contributions Rask has made to the B’s 11-8-0 overall record. To keep it simple, every game Rask hasn’t started the Bruins have lost, and those games were missing the same feel to it with Rask on the bench. Not only that, but for the most part, Rask has been an imposing presence in the crease making the majority of his saves look very easy. If Tuukka can keep this up he’s going to be in contention for the Vezina Trophy at the end of the season, alongside my favorite goalie in the league in Carey Price (sarcasm, of course) and could single-handily lead the B’s to the playoffs for the first time in three seasons.
The last player I’ve noticed more than any other through 19 games has been David Pastrnak. I’m glad to be saying this because I really enjoy what Pastrnak has brought to the table since he’s been on the roster and I think he’s the true goal scorer the Bruins have missed since trading Tyler Seguin. Leading the team with 10 goals, Pastrnak has looked much more confident in the offensive zone stringing together some nice plays with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand. The one concern I have surrounding his game though is his health. Similar to Carlo, Pastrnak is a young kid still developing muscle and is more at risk to injury because he’s on the weaker side. It’s been an issue in the past and it has popped up already this season, so if anything will hold him back this year, it’ll be the injury bug. Other than that, it’s clear that his overall game is starting to show improvement as his back-checking alone has improved ten-fold, as well as his defensive game in general, and it’ll be critical once the big games roll around in February and March.
Like I said, while the B’s haven’t been tremendous so far, they also haven’t looked dreadful. This team really didn’t have much roster turnover and the new guys on the roster, with the exception of David Backes, are all young players still trying to fill a role so at least to me, it’s hard to be upset with the results we’ve gotten so far. As a team, they seem to be a lot more likeable than in years past and I feel like that comes from their tendency, at least until now, to not give up in games. Other than an embarrassing 5-0 loss to the Minnesota Wild on Oct. 25 and two 5-2 losses to the New York Rangers, every game they lost was a back-and-forth game that I felt they had a good chance to win.
Look at their most recent game against the St. Louis Blues, a couple bounces go their way and they more-likely-than-not walk away with a win against a predominantly top Western Conference team. A 3-2 loss at Montreal also comes to mind in this example as the B’s were the better team in this game, but just couldn’t muster a goal past Price. This could be the most important aspect to this years team because as we all know, part of the reason they’ve failed to make the playoffs was their inability to win big games down the stretch. If they are showing some heart now, I can’t imagine that’ll disappear once the games become even more important down the line.
When it all boils down to it in April, we’ll look back on this start and the towering play of Carlo, Rask’s extraordinary start, the superb play of Pastrnak, and the overall pride this year’s team possesses and be shocked. Hopefully it’ll be a positive shock because they didn’t get a higher seeding in the playoffs, and not a negative shock if they fail to make the postseason, again. Now that would be something I would not be thankful for.
I am thankful for……….
Bill Belichick – the greatest sports coach of all time – beyond debate now
Tom Brady – I think you would have to say one more Super Bowl and he passes Bill Russell as the greatest player in Boston history – who would imagine that we would ever have that conversation (1. Russell, 2. Brady, 3. Orr, 4. Bird 5. Williams 6. Bird 7. Pedro 8. Esposito 9. Marciano 10. Rodgers 11. Havlicek 12. Neely)
Gronk – Brings fun to the game and the greatest player that position has ever seen – now if he could only stay healthy
Mr. Kraft – Thanks for the team – they can show you every week for giving us this jewel of New England – team is as important as foliage
Terry Francona – I guy who does it old school when baseball was the greatest game
Theo – A person who thinks, creates a plan, acts on it, is patient and sees it come to fruition – hall of famer
Isiah Thomas – the way he gets his shot off in the paint against players more than a foot taller
Brad Stevens – for keeping his composure while I’m yelling at the TV
Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman – The best local broadcasters in a town that used to be filled with them – they deserve a Tommy point
Dan Shaughnessy – for being the best sports writer in a town that used to be filled with them
Bruins – hmm, hmm, they were the team that used to have the most exciting team in town
Boston Marathon – Thanks to the BAA for giving us this harbinger of spring every year
Fenway Park – Hope it stands another 100 years (miss the Boston Garden)
The smell of Italian sausages outside the park
The guy who used to start the Lets Go Bruins chant – when they were relevant
Kevin McHale for his drop step and clothes line of Rambis
To Cam Neely for smashing Claude Lemieux’s head into the Globe sign
To all of you for reading the Top Ten
1.Patriots vs. 49ers:
· Spend thousands and fly to San Fran and sit in the rain – not priceless
· Right now I feel like 60% – 40% that Gostkowski is going to hit an extra point
· Is an extra point to kickers like a closer in a non-close situation?
· Might be time to upgrade at punter in the offseason
· The last 2:06 of the 4th quarter took 13 minutes – not good for the league
· Biggest upset of the day – Cy Jones catching a punt in the rain and not fumbling
· Moving in the pocket better than ever – without his feet they don’t win the game
· Thing Brady has done over the year is make millionaires out of everyone around him – McDaniel is an average play caller that looks good with Brady checking at the line and moving in pocket / offensive linemen would be out of the league if Brady didn’t avoid sacks / Receivers have their best years with Brady – David Patten, David Givens, Deion Branch, Bennett, etc.
· Six games 16 TD to 1 INT (full season pace of 43 TD to 3 INT)
· Overthrew Edelman at least four times (Edelman targeted 17 times – 8 catches)
· The TD pass to Malcom Mitchell defied geometry
· I’m back to hating McDaniel – play calling is so vanilla – five straight drives with nothing and you don’t want to try the hurry up
· I’m bored when the Patriots hand off to Blount
· The play calling at the end of the first half was disgraceful – thirty yards from field goal position and they running into the line
· Don’t want to use tight ends?
· Lewis is dynamic – good game to take some hits and get back out there
· I think Malcom Mitchell can develop – love his downfield blocking on Blount’s 44 yard run and later on a Blount run
· UGH! Solder takes away a TD on holding and then jumps early
· Lewis and White coming out of the back field with Gronk and Bennett – add Hogan, Edelman, Mitchell and Amendola – can McDaniel drive this car?
· Does the defensive line stink or is it me?
· At one point I saw the following linebackers – Van Noy (got him for a 6th round pick), McClellan (signed as a free agent) and Elandron Roberts (6th round) on the field
· Chris Long more active – putting some pressure on QB
BELICHICK GARB / KRAFT SIGHTINGS
· Huge day for Kraft – End of the first quarter and then CBS knowing they have a hot hand they go back to him again for a heat-check as he celebrated TD five seconds later at 14:55 and then later in the 4th QTR at 14:55 yet again – he can’t be stopped
· Bill went rain coat with hood and then lost the hood late in the game
· Has Kapernick given the $1mm donation yet – it’s like Paul Gaston’s $100mm suit against the Wall Street Journal for the Reggie Lewis article
· Chip Kelly looks sad
· Did Edelman throw his shoulder into the guy on the sideline and then realize he did it and check on him?
· Patriots took a knee with the over at 51 and the score 30-17 – heard some booing
2. Around the NFL –
· Cleveland QB – six QB’s 12 td to 12 INT
· KC loss helps Pats
· With 62.5% of the season over the Bengals are 1.5 games out of first with a 3-6-1 record
· Vinatieri lost his field goal kick streak at 44
· Is Prescott the MVP or second to Brady – the two of them combined 33 TD to 3 INT
3. Celtics / Bruins
· Celtics 4-5 last 9 / Bruins 3-4 last 7
· Marcus Smart, Green, Jerebko, Olynyk all shooting below 40% – terrible
· No forward – that has played more than 5 games – averaging over 5 rebounds
· Bruins season 22% over – Krug and Chara on a pace for 8 goals combined
· Bruins goalies other than Rask 0-5
4. College Football
* I’m a Charlie Strong fan but he wasn’t a good value in Austin – 16 wins in three years / they paid in him close to $15mm in salary, paid Louisville a buyout of $4.5mm to get him and must pay him a $10mm severance – that’s $1.875, 000 a win (BC should make a run at him)
* Baylor Football before 60 minutes piece was introduced on their sex crimes 6-0 / after 0-4
* When was the last time you only saw just one SEC team in the top 12
* BC plays 66th ranked RPI team Wake Forest next week – if they win they are bowl eligible but I would guess they wouldn’t accept a bid seeing the other teams they beat are ranked – 68, 103, 127, 136, 226
* Undefeated Western Michigan can’t get a big bowl seeing they haven’t played one team inside the top 50.
* 1-1 on my picks this weekend – stayed hot with Navy though
5. Dick Radatz saved and won a combined 45 games in 1964 which represented 62% of the Red Sox 72 wins
6. Rajon Rondo had three playoff games with at least 19 assists / Bill Russell had seven playoff games with at least 38 rebounds / Sam Jones had two playoff games with at least 48 points
7 Old School – Tony Conigliaro got hit every 103 at bats with the Red Sox
8 Amazing Sad Stat – Rick Miller in 1978, stole 3 bases but gone thrown out 13 times
9 Just a Little Bit Outside – This quote from George Washington is still relevant – “The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation.”
* Thanksgiving best holiday!
* An observation – I’m fine with protesting (not anarchy) but the cast of Hamilton calling out the Vice President elect, who was in the audience, to make sure he was inclusionary just months after they had a casting call for NON-WHITES only.